Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field Flux of Neodymium Magnets

1. Jul 26, 2009 #1
    Greetings,

I am trying to figure out how I would design something that produces power using magnetic induction, but I think I've confused myself on some of the ideas and terms behind it. I found data on neodymium magnets from http://www.cy-magnetics.com/Mag_Pros_NdFeB.htm and it seems that the magnetic flux density is between 1.0-1.4 teslas. So, what I'm confused about is whether the flux density increases with each magnet you add to the system or if is just a constant based on the material and it doesn't matter how much material you have.

Intuitively it seems that the flux density would increase with more magnets, but I may just not understand what flux density really is. I've been trying to read more about it, but I think I've just confused myself more, so if anyone can set me straight on the matter, or at least point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2011 #2
    At some point stacking magnets adds very little to the flux density due to saturation of the magnetic flux.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook