1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field in a particle accelerator

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1
    Protons with momentum 2.2×10−16 kg*m/s are magnetically steered clockwise in a circular path 1.8 km in diameter at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Illinois.

I am asked to find the magnitude and direction of the field in the magnets surrounding the beam pipe...

I'm fairly certain that this is a simple plug and chug problem, but I'm not sure which equation to use....perhaps something with the cyclotron frequency?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

acceleration

Hint: What is the acceleration of something with that momentum going in that circle?

4. Mar 2, 2008 #3
    when it comes to charged particles in a magnetic field you're supposed to start with lorentz force
    circular motion refers to centripedal force

let's not spoil any further

5. Mar 2, 2008 #4
    got it!

Alright, the only thing that was confusing me was the units for momentum and trying to set as one variable...

What i found was B = mv/rq where mv was the momentum that they gave us. After that it was just plugging in the numbers.

I got my final answer to be 1.5 T

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook