Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field in a particle accelerator

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1
    Protons with momentum 2.2×10−16 kg*m/s are magnetically steered clockwise in a circular path 1.8 km in diameter at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Illinois.

I am asked to find the magnitude and direction of the field in the magnets surrounding the beam pipe...

I'm fairly certain that this is a simple plug and chug problem, but I'm not sure which equation to use....perhaps something with the cyclotron frequency?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

acceleration

Hint: What is the acceleration of something with that momentum going in that circle?

4. Mar 2, 2008 #3
    when it comes to charged particles in a magnetic field you're supposed to start with lorentz force
    circular motion refers to centripedal force

let's not spoil any further

5. Mar 2, 2008 #4
    got it!

Alright, the only thing that was confusing me was the units for momentum and trying to set as one variable...

What i found was B = mv/rq where mv was the momentum that they gave us. After that it was just plugging in the numbers.

I got my final answer to be 1.5 T

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?