Magnetic field in frame of moving charge

In summary, the magnetic field produced by a single moving charge can be found using Maxwell's equations and the Lienard Wiechert potentials. It is dependent on the current of the charge, and for a stationary observer, there would be both magnetic and electric fields present. However, for an observer moving with the charge, only an electric field would be measured.
Dexter Neutron
A charge moving relative to some observer produces magnetic field in space around it. Now I want to ask that how does the magnetic field of the charge at any fixed point varies as the charge passes by. Or is the B field only dependent on current and not a single moving charge?

If I introduce one more observer to be moving with the charge then if a time comes at which both the observer coincide, then at that instant will magnetic field be experienced by only stationary observer or both?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dexter Neutron said:
Or is the B field only dependent on current and not a single moving charge?
A single moving charge does produce a current. The B field of the current in a conductor is the sum of the B fields of all of the charges moving in the conductor.

Dexter Neutron said:
Now I want to ask that how does the magnetic field of the charge at any fixed point varies as the charge passes by.
The electromagnetic field satisfies Maxwell's equations. The solution for a single moving charge can be found, for example, here (slide 8): https://www.physics.rutgers.edu/ugrad/227/L15 Magnetic Field of Currents Biot-Savart.pdf

Dexter Neutron said:
If I introduce one more observer to be moving with the charge then if a time comes at which both the observer coincide, then at that instant will magnetic field be experienced by only stationary observer or both?

This question does not make any sense. If an observer is not moving with respect to the charge, then they will either coincide at all times or at no time.

For an observer at rest with respect to the charge, there would be no magnetic field. The electric and magnetic field are not invariant under boosts (changes in inertial frames with a relative velocity), i.e., if you change to a moving frame, the electric and magnetic fields will change.

Dexter Neutron said:
Now I want to ask that how does the magnetic field of the charge at any fixed point varies as the charge passes by. Or is the B field only dependent on current and not a single moving charge?
The fields for a classical point charge are given by the Lienard Wiechert potentials: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liénard–Wiechert_potential

In the appropriate limits these fields reduce to Coulomb's law and the Biot Savart law but you can use them for any arbitrary motion.

I think the question is about when the moving observer coincides with the stationary observer. The stationary observer would measure a magnetic field with her compass (and there would be some electric field as well) but the observer moving with the charge would measure only an electric field.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a force field that is created by moving electric charges. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and it is responsible for the force of attraction or repulsion between two magnetic objects.

2. How does a moving charge create a magnetic field?

When an electric charge moves, it generates a magnetic field around it. This is because the moving charge creates a current, which in turn creates a magnetic field. The strength of the magnetic field depends on the speed and direction of the moving charge.

3. What is the relationship between a magnetic field and a moving charge?

A moving charge will experience a force in the presence of a magnetic field. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the charge's motion. The magnitude of the force is determined by the charge's velocity, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the two.

4. Can a magnetic field affect the motion of a moving charge?

Yes, a magnetic field can exert a force on a moving charge, causing it to change its direction or speed. This is known as the Lorentz force and is the basis for many applications of magnetic fields, such as electric motors and particle accelerators.

5. How does the magnetic field change in the frame of a moving charge?

In the frame of a moving charge, the magnetic field appears to be stronger in the direction of motion and weaker in the opposite direction. This is due to the relativistic effects of length contraction and time dilation. However, from an outside observer's perspective, the magnetic field remains the same in all directions.