Magnetic field inside a solenoid

1576606983811.png
1576607004731.png

1576607180280.png

I have a problem with the derivation above I dont get how
1576607218544.png

Can someone derive this and illustrate this visually for example by using Figure 2 or using another drawing?

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
It looks wrong to me. The book should have ##\theta## going clockwise with ##\theta = 0## as the vertical, and be integrating from ##-\frac{\pi}{2} + \theta_0## to ##\frac{\pi}{2} - \theta_0##.

It looks like the book has two wrongs making a right.

PS with the above I get ##dx = \frac{r d\theta}{\cos \theta}##

well it is not from a textbook it is a document I recieved. Unfortunately I am a bit lost from
1576610265489.png

and the equations afterwards. Could you derive how to get to:
1576610310258.png

starting from
1576610504513.png

1576643791061.png

I have tried to illustrate my problem in the drawing above. Since ##r d\theta## is normal to the radius r and approximately linear since it is a short part of the bowlength the angle between dx and ##r d\theta## should be the same as the angle between r and x that makes cosinus. But what if the fraction ##\frac{r d\theta}{dx}## and the ##\frac{r }{x}## is not the same? We don't know the length of ##r d\theta## measured up to r and the length of dx measured up to x?

256bits
Gold Member
View attachment 254289

I have tried to illustrate my problem in the drawing above. Since ##r d\theta## is normal to the radius r and approximately linear since it is a short part of the bowlength the angle between dx and ##r d\theta## should be the same as the angle between r and x that makes cosinus. But what if the fraction ##\frac{r d\theta}{dx}## and the ##\frac{r }{x}## is not the same? We don't know the length of ##r d\theta## measured up to r and the length of dx measured up to x?
Angles and infinitesimals - ugh.

Maybe this explanation helps.
##r d\theta## is the arc length, call that da,which for a radius r perpendicular to the axis would have dx = da.
A we deviate from the vertical, r increases in length, the arc length da is no longer parallel to the axis. We have to find the dx portion of da.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
View attachment 254289

As I said above, I'll take ##\theta## going clockwise from the vertical, so that ##\theta## and ##x## have the same sign.

##x = R\tan \theta, \ \ R = r\cos \theta, \ \ x = r\sin \theta##

##dx = R \sec^2 \theta d\theta = \frac{r d\theta}{\cos \theta}##

Likes fisher garry