1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field of a Thin Conducting Plate

1. Mar 18, 2012 #1
    A very, large, thin conducting plate lies in the x-y plane. The plate carries a current in the y direction. The current is uniformly distributed over the plate with σ amperes flowing across each meter of length perpendicular to the current. Use Ampere's Law to find the magnetic field at some distance from the plate. (Hint: The magnetic field lines are parallel to the plate.)

2. Relevant equations
    Ampere's Law:
    ∫B|| ds = μ0*I

3. The attempt at a solution:
    I'm completely lost on where to even start this question. I guess that you may have to use a Gausian cylinder or rectangular prism.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2012 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

For Ampere's Law, instead of a surface you are looking for a closed loop to draw somewhere. In general, the geometry of the problem might suggest some simple shape -- often a circle or rectangle -- that will make things work out.

4. Mar 18, 2012 #3
    So if I use a rectangular wire around the plate, do I only include the top and bottom portions of the length, since these are the only sections where the B is perpendicular to the path?

Also how do I calculate the current, is it just equal to σ?

5. Mar 19, 2012 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, use a rectangular path. But have a look again at Ampere's Law, you are looking for sections where B is parallel to the path:
    "B||" means the component of B that is parallel to the the length element ds.

σ is the current in 1 meter of plate. So if the rectangle encloses 1 meter of the plate, yes. If the rectangle encloses some other length, then no.

Have you drawn the rectangular loop yet? The thin plate should appear as a line in the figure, with the current directed either out of or into the page.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook