Calculating Magnetic Field of Long Sheet with Uniformly Distributed Current

In summary, the problem is to find the magnetic field on the plane of a long metallic sheet with a uniformly distributed current, at a distance 'b' from its axis. Using the Biot-Savart law, the magnetic field can be expressed as the integral of the cross product of the unit vector and the distance vector, with the current outside the integral. Substituting the denominator, the integral can be solved in the z direction by using the substitution method. It is not possible to use Ampere's law since the sheet is not long enough.
intervoxel

Homework Statement

A long metallic sheet of width 'a' and negligible thickness has a current uniformly distributed along its length. Find the magnetic field on the plane of the sheet a distance 'b' from its axis.

The current flows in the x direction; the z direction is perpendicular to the surface.

Homework Equations

The Biot-Savart law:
[itex]
\vec{B}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\int_S \frac{J_s \times \hat{r-r'}}{|r-r'|^2} dS'
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since J_s is constant, it can be put outside the integral.[itex]
\vec{B}=\frac{\mu_0 J_s}{4\pi}\int_S \frac{\hat{x} \times \hat{r-r'}}{|r-r'|^2} dS'.
[/itex]

Considering a finite region of length L we have:

[itex]
\vec{B}=\frac{\mu_0 J_s}{4\pi}\int_{-a/2}^{a/2} \int_{-L/2}^{L/2} \frac{\hat{x} \times \hat{r-r'}}{|r-r'|^2} dx dy
[/itex]

or[itex]
B=\frac{\mu_0 J_s}{4\pi}\int_{-a/2}^{a/2} \int_{-L/2}^{L/2} \frac{1}{|r-r'|^2} dx dy
[/itex]

in the z direction. But [itex]|r-r'|=\sqrt(x^2+(b-y)^2)[/itex]Substituting the denominator, we have[itex]
B=\frac{\mu_0 J_s}{4\pi}\int_{-a/2}^{a/2} \int_{-L/2}^{L/2} \frac{1}{x^2+(b-y)^2} dx dy
[/itex]

Is it correct?
How resolve this integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it that the sheet isn't long enough to use ampere's law? Umm, I am having trouble looking at your work as you've typed it, and I'm not smart enough to do this in my head. I would make the curly'r unit vector into curly'r_vector/curly'r from the start. That's always the best way to do these types of problems, in my opinion. If you need some more help and can't get the LaTeX right, then I'll work it out myself at some point and relate mine to yours.

Related to Calculating Magnetic Field of Long Sheet with Uniformly Distributed Current

1. What is a long sheet magnetic field?

A long sheet magnetic field is a type of magnetic field that is created by a long, thin sheet of material with a defined magnetic orientation. This type of magnetic field is commonly used in experiments and devices to study the behavior of magnetic fields.

2. How is a long sheet magnetic field generated?

A long sheet magnetic field is generated by passing an electric current through the long, thin sheet of material. The direction of the electric current determines the direction of the magnetic field lines that are produced.

3. What are the properties of a long sheet magnetic field?

A long sheet magnetic field has properties such as strength, direction, and shape. The strength of the magnetic field depends on the amount of electric current passing through the sheet, while the direction and shape are determined by the orientation and shape of the sheet itself.

4. How is the strength of a long sheet magnetic field measured?

The strength of a long sheet magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device detects the strength of the magnetic field and displays it in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G), depending on the scale used.

5. What are some real-world applications of a long sheet magnetic field?

A long sheet magnetic field has many practical applications in various fields, such as in electromagnets used in industrial settings, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines in the medical field, and magnetic levitation trains in transportation. It is also used in research and experiments to study the behavior of magnetic fields and their interaction with other materials.