Magnetic Field Outside a Finite Solenoid

In summary, Bob is trying to find the magnetic field inside and outside of a solenoid but he is having difficulty. He suggests using Ampere's law and a magnetic field mapping software to help.
mo09890
I'm trying to write a program to simulate the fields generated by a solenoid but I've hit a bit of a brick wall. There is a vast amount of examples and information on the field generated inside a solenoid however they all assume that the field outside is negligible and as such I have been having trouble finding any equations or information on the field outside of a solenoid.

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The field on the axis of a solenoid is given by B = 0.5 μ0 NI (cos β2 – cos β1) where β1 and β2 are the angles of the end of the coils subtended at a point on the solenoid axis. See Smythe “Static and Dynamic Electricity”, 3rd Edition, page 297.

So the field in the center of an infinite solenoid is Bcenter = μ0 NI. The field inside the end of an half-infinite solenoid is Bend = 0.5 μ0 NI

Because the line integral around the coil windings is (Ampere’s Law)

∫B dl = μ0 NI

The field outside the solenoid has to be

Boutside = μ0 NI - 0.5 μ0 NI (cos β2 – cos β1)

Bob S

Thanks for the very speedy reply Bob! I have one question though - is that the equation for the field outside the solenoid but still on the axis or will this work for any point in a 3D space? (Am i asking too much for it to be as simple as this for 3D? :P)

Hi mo09890-
The result quantitativly applies to any line integral outside the coil. To get the actual B field anywhere outside the coil, you will have to choose the appropriate path of the line integral, meaning that although the line integral is correct, the value of B anywhere is not determined, except very close to the coil.
Bob S

Magnetic Field from a Finite Solenoid

Hello
I need to calculate the magnetic fied from a coil. The solenoid has a finite side, and its length and number of turns are known. However, I can't find out how to do the calculation. I know that the B-field in the middle is equal to u0*n*I but I don't understand how to find the result, using Ampere's law.
Thank you in advance

mary8789 said:
Hello
I need to calculate the magnetic fied from a coil. The solenoid has a finite side, and its length and number of turns are known. However, I can't find out how to do the calculation. I know that the B-field in the middle is equal to u0*n*I but I don't understand how to find the result, using Ampere's law.
The Biot Savart Law is exact, and can be used on and off the axis of the solenoid. For an infinite solenoid, the Ampere's Law agrees with the Biot-Savart solution. The on-axis solution for a finite solenoid is also exact (see my previous post). Ampere's Law does not give the correct field for a finite length solenoid, even on axis. For fields outside a finite solenoid, I would probably have to resort to integrating the vector potential of a solenoid based on a circular loop. See Smythe (ibid) page 290-291. There must be an easier way.

[added] you might try some inexpensive magnetic field mapping software. Look at
http://www.vizimag.com/
Bob S

Last edited:
Simple use faradays law since you are running a current through it:
e = (integral)E DL = dI (b) / dt
dI (b)= the changing magnetic field.
Now you can use this equation an integrate over the distance ...one way is to plot it in a graph and take points away from the center and integrate it just like finding the E filed of a wire segment. GOOD luck

1. What is a magnetic field outside a finite solenoid?

A magnetic field outside a finite solenoid is a region of space surrounding a solenoid (a cylindrical coil of wire) where the magnetic field lines are present and can be detected. The strength and direction of the magnetic field outside the solenoid depends on the current flowing through the solenoid and the distance from the solenoid.

2. How do you calculate the magnetic field strength outside a finite solenoid?

The magnetic field strength outside a finite solenoid can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * n * I, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length of the solenoid, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid. This formula assumes the solenoid is infinitely long, so it is more accurate for larger solenoids with more turns.

3. What factors affect the magnetic field strength outside a finite solenoid?

The magnetic field strength outside a finite solenoid is affected by the current flowing through the solenoid, the number of turns per unit length, the permeability of the material inside the solenoid, and the distance from the solenoid. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic field outside the solenoid.

4. How does the magnetic field outside a finite solenoid compare to the magnetic field inside the solenoid?

The magnetic field outside a finite solenoid is weaker than the magnetic field inside the solenoid. This is because the magnetic field inside the solenoid is more concentrated, while the magnetic field outside the solenoid spreads out and becomes weaker as it moves further away from the solenoid.

5. Can the magnetic field outside a finite solenoid be shielded or redirected?

Yes, the magnetic field outside a finite solenoid can be shielded or redirected using materials with high magnetic permeability, such as iron or mu-metal. These materials can be placed around the solenoid to create a magnetic circuit that directs the magnetic field away from the outside of the solenoid, reducing its strength. Additionally, changing the shape or orientation of the solenoid can also alter the direction and strength of the magnetic field outside the solenoid.