Magnetic field strength at point P around a solenoid

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ealbers
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
I have a solenoid, Length L, number of turns N, ampers I Radius R

I have a Point P(x,y,z) anywhere around said solenoid.

How can I calculate the field strength at point P, note it is OUTSIDE the solenoid, and could be anywhere outside. Assume the origin is the center of the solenoid, let's assume the axis of the solenoid is along the X axis, -L/2 to +L/2

Thanks!
Eric
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ealbers said:
How can I calculate the field strength at point P
I assume that the solenoid has no (iron)core:
You must use a numeric/computer calculation, using Biot-Savart. This calculation should be exact, with a high precision data format.
You cannot use Amperes law, because here the mean strength along a circulation path is calculated.