Magnetic Field Work: Find Work to Rotate Conductor

In summary, the problem involves a conductor with a length of 2 m and a current of 3 A placed parallel to the z-axis at a distance of ρ0= 10 cm. The magnetic field in the region is given as cos(ϕ/3)Up Wb/m^2. The question is asking for the amount of work required to rotate the conductor one revolution about the z-axis. To solve this, the formula W=Fd can be used, with torque=m x B where m is the magnetic moment and m=IS. However, the formula for surface area of an elliptical cylinder is not applicable in this case as B is not provided. It is unclear what "cos(ϕ/3)
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

A conductor that is 2 m long and is caring a current of 3 A is placed parallel to the zaxis at a distance ρ0= 10 cm as shown in Figure 2. If the magnetic field in the region is cos(ϕ/3)Up Wb/m^2, how much work is required to rotate the conductor one revolution about the z-axis?

Homework Equations

W=Fd
torque=m x B where m=magnetic moment
m=IS

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I tried formula for surface area of an elliptical cylinder pi(Major radius)(minor radius) which is S but I don't have B. am I going about it wrong? Anyways once I did this I was planning on multiplying it by the current given. And then multiply that by the length of cylinder 2m which will give me the torque force which I can then find the for d=distance traveled in one revolution and multiplt that by the torque to give me work.

Attachments

• physicsforumsquestion2.jpg
    physicsforumsquestion2.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a bad question?

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Is this a bad question?

Yeah, what does "cos(phi/3)Up mean?

Related to Magnetic Field Work: Find Work to Rotate Conductor

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in which a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges and can exert a force on other moving charges.

2. How does a magnetic field work?

A magnetic field works by exerting a force on charged particles. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of motion of the charged particle.

3. What is the purpose of rotating a conductor in a magnetic field?

The purpose of rotating a conductor in a magnetic field is to generate electricity. As the conductor rotates, it cuts through the magnetic field lines and induces an electric current in the conductor.

4. How is the direction of rotation of the conductor related to the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of rotation of the conductor is related to the direction of the magnetic field by the right hand rule. If the thumb of your right hand points in the direction of the magnetic field, the fingers will curl in the direction of the rotation of the conductor.

5. What is the application of magnetic field work in everyday life?

Magnetic field work has many applications in everyday life, such as in generators, electric motors, and MRI machines. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as separating magnetic materials and detecting metal contaminants in food products.