Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic fields and superconductors

1. Mar 24, 2009 #1
    1. I have read that external magnetic fields cannot penetrate a superconductor. Why is this?

2. Does the magnetic field produced by the superconducting current extend outside of the superconductor? And if so, what happens when the magnetic field starts to collapse, can it renter the superconductor?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. The Meissner effect

2. Yes it does, if i remember correctly, but I let someone else answer with more precision ;)

4. Mar 24, 2009 #3
    Thanks malawi glenn

5. Mar 24, 2009 #4
    Just add a bit Mr malawi gleen explanation,,,

1. Superconductor is a perfect dia-magnetic. When you apply an external magnetic field it will create a magnetic field that oppose the external one so it's repel the magnet. The magnetic field still remain since the free electron continues moving even there's a collision, the energy lost extremely small.

2. Yes, until you give a heat to the superconductor or bring to the room temperature. cause superconductor effect only operate at very low temperature.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook