Magnetic fields in circular loop

In summary, when calculating the magnetic field at the center of a circle created from a wire, you cannot simply use the magnetic field equation for a circular loop. This is because there is also a contribution from the straight sections of the wire, and the fields from the loop and straight sections must be added together. This can be done through integration, where the length of the wire is allowed to approach infinity, resulting in the same equation as the one for a straight wire. Additionally, when dealing with a single wire creating a circle, the small gap at the intersection point must be taken into account. Therefore, it is important to consider
Biker
96a353d4427f4cf39450afdee3341408.png

If I have a some a wire and I took part of it and created a circle. If I want to calculate the strength of the magnetic field at the center of it. I should just use the magnetic field equation for the circular loop, shouldn't I?
## B = \frac{U_o N I}{2R} ##
and I shouldn't care about the intersection between the circle and the wire itself because the equation will include that point and the wire doesn't have an effect on the center of the circle.

p_137hpdd1.png

And why if I want the magnetic field at the center this equation doesn't work?
##B = 4 ( \frac{U_O I}{ 2 \pi d} )##
I have seen a webpage before that uses calculus in order to solve this (Havent taken it yet) But what does calculus has to do in this shape? Reference: http://www.physicspages.com/2013/04/11/magnetic-field-of-square-current-loop/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Biker said:
96a353d4427f4cf39450afdee3341408.png

If I have a some a wire and I took part of it and created a circle. If I want to calculate the strength of the magnetic field at the center of it. I should just use the magnetic field equation for the circular loop, shouldn't I?

No, you also have a contribution from the straight sections. The fields from the loop and the straight sections superpose (add). If the gap at the "intersection" is very small, you can treat the straight sections as if they were a single continuous wire.

p_137hpdd1.png

And why if I want the magnetic field at the center this equation doesn't work?
##B = 4 ( \frac{U_O I}{ 2 \pi d} )##

That equation (the part in parentheses) is for an infinitely long straight wire.

I have seen a webpage before that uses calculus in order to solve this (Havent taken it yet) But what does calculus has to do in this shape? Reference: http://www.physicspages.com/2013/04/11/magnetic-field-of-square-current-loop/

To find the field from a finitely long straight wire, you have to integrate (add up) the contributions from each little piece of the wire. If you let the length of the wire approach infinity, you get the equation you gave above as the limiting case.

jtbell said:
No, you also have a contribution from the straight sections. The fields from the loop and the straight sections superpose (add). If the gap at the "intersection" is very small, you can treat the straight sections as if they were a single continuous wire.
That equation (the part in parentheses) is for an infinitely long straight wire.
To find the field from a finitely long straight wire, you have to integrate (add up) the contributions from each little piece of the wire. If you let the length of the wire approach infinity, you get the equation you gave above as the limiting case.

In the place where I created the circle, I shouldn't count it as a straight wire and add it to the circle's MF. Because that small segment is already part of the circle so why should I add it twice ._.?

I'm not referring to the intersection point. I'm referring to the whole straight wire. The field at the center of the circle is the sum of the fields from the circle and from the straight wire.

jtbell said:
I'm not referring to the intersection point. I'm referring to the whole straight wire. The field at the center of the circle is the sum of the fields from the circle and from the straight wire.
Sorry I still don't get what you mean.

I have solved question before about adding up the straight wire and circle MF but it was usually formed with two different wires. However, here it is only one and what is confusing me is that small gap. If I use the circle equation then I am saying that it is a full circle and when I use the straight wire equation I am saying that it is continuous but as you said we can assume that the gap is really small. But isn't there any intersection between the circle and the wire so I am probably adding up the strength of MF of a small piece twice using the both equation?

Biker said:
I have solved question before about adding up the straight wire and circle MF but it was usually formed with two different wires.
It makes no difference, provided that in the "two different wires" case the two wires carry the same amount of current.

In the "single wire" case, there is a point where the wire crosses over itself. In the "two different wires" case the two wires also have to overlap at one point, in order to make the two cases exactly similar.

jtbell said:
It makes no difference, provided that in the "two different wires" case the two wires carry the same amount of current.

In the "single wire" case, there is a point where the wire crosses over itself. In the "two different wires" case the two wires also have to overlap at one point, in order to make the two cases exactly similar.
I didn't mean that. I should have mentioned "Two wires not touching each other"

All I want is an explanation of this:

If I use the circle equation then I am saying that it is a full circle and when I use the straight wire equation I am saying that it is continuous but as you said we can assume that the gap is really small. But isn't there any intersection between the circle and the wire so I am probably adding up the strength of MF of a small piece twice using the both equation?

Something like this:
gHPHjSF.png

Biker said:
But isn't there any intersection between the circle and the wire so I am probably adding up the strength of MF of a small piece twice using the both equation?
I'm saying that in both cases, you actually have two small pieces of wire, overlapping at the intersection point. So of course you're going to have to include both of them when calculating the field. Finding the sum of the fields from the (whole) circle and from the (whole) long straight wire does just that!

1. What is a magnetic field in a circular loop?

A magnetic field in a circular loop is a region in which a magnetic force is exerted on charged particles. This force is created by the movement of electric charges, such as the flow of electrons.

2. How is a magnetic field created in a circular loop?

A magnetic field in a circular loop is created by the flow of electric current through the loop. As the current moves through the loop, it generates a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the plane of the loop.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field in a circular loop?

The direction of the magnetic field in a circular loop is determined by the right-hand rule. If you curl your fingers around the loop in the direction of the current, your thumb will point in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the size of the loop affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field in a circular loop is directly proportional to the size of the loop. This means that a larger loop will have a stronger magnetic field than a smaller loop, assuming they have the same amount of current flowing through them.

5. What are some applications of magnetic fields in circular loops?

Magnetic fields in circular loops have many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and MRI machines. They are also used in devices like speakers and headphones to convert electrical signals into sound.