Understanding Induced Current in a Changing Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the differentiation of magnetic flux in order to find the induced current in a ring of wire with its normal at an angle to a changing magnetic field. The poster is using Ohm's law to calculate the induced current, but is unsure if they need to differentiate the constant cos 30°. It is suggested that the question be posted in the homework forum and the poster is welcomed to Physics Forums.
strawman
Hi everyone. I'm a new poster here, so hopefully this is in the right sub forum:

I'm just interested in seeing if I've got the right idea with my differentiation of magnetic flux in order to find the induced current in a ring of wire, which has it's normal at, say 30° to a magnetic field (which is uniform but has magnitude changing with time). Let's say the area of the wire is A = π r^2 and the magnetic field strength changes with time according to B = c t^2, where c is a constant and t = time.

Magnetic flux:

Φ=AB cos 30°

Φ= (π r^2) (c t^2) cos 30°

Is it right to say I don't need to differentiate the cos 30, as that is just a constant? Infact, everything is a constant except t^2, therefore the rate of change of the flux is:

dΦ/dt = (π r^2) (c 2t) cos 30°

From here, I'm using Ohm's law, and dividing the above by the resistance of the wire, and I've got my induced current. Does that look right? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks right, but should better be posted in the homework forum, because it looks like a typical homework problem about Faraday's Law of Induction.

Thanks for the reply. I thought about posting in the homework forum, though it isn't actually a homework question, I just made up the values to see if I had the idea right. But it does follow the same pattern as many questions. Not sure how to delete or move the thread?

No problem. Just keep in mind to post such questions in the homework forum, using the template there, and welcome to Physics Forums!

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux related to induced current?

According to Faraday's law of induction, a changing magnetic flux will induce an electric current in a conductor. This means that when the magnetic flux passing through a loop of wire changes, an electric current will be induced in that wire.

3. What factors affect the strength of induced current?

The strength of induced current is affected by the rate of change of magnetic flux, the number of turns in the wire, and the resistance of the wire. A faster rate of change of magnetic flux, more turns in the wire, and lower resistance will result in a stronger induced current.

4. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field (B) by the area (A) perpendicular to the field. Mathematically, it can be expressed as Φ = B*A.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic flux and induced current?

Magnetic flux and induced current are utilized in many important technologies, such as electric generators, transformers, and motors. They are also used in medical devices such as MRI machines and in everyday items like credit cards and headphones.