Magnetic Force on a Wire with a Changing Direction of Current

In summary, the given segment of wire carries a current of 62 A along the x-axis from x=-6m to x=0 and then along the z-axis from z=0 to z=2.9m. The magnetic field is equal to 110 mT in the positive z direction. The magnitude of the force on this segment of wire can be calculated using the equation F=ILBsin\theta, where F is the magnetic force, I is the current, L is the length of the wire, B is the magnetic field, and sin\theta is the angle between the wire and the magnetic field. Since the wire and the magnetic field are both along the z-axis, no force will act on that part.
Andy111

Homework Statement

A segment of wire carries a current of 62 A along the x-axis from x=-6m to x=0 and then along the z-axis from z=0 to z=2.9m. The magnetic field is equal to 110 mT in the positive z direction.

What is the magnitude of the force on this segment of wire? Answer in units of N.

Homework Equations

F=ILBsin[tex]\theta[/tex]

F= magnetic force
I= current
L= length of wire
B= magnetic field
sin[tex]\theta[/tex] = the angle

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried finding the length of the hypotenuse of the wire and the angle, then use the other given variables to solve for F, but I didn't think that was right.

Physics news on Phys.org
do you really mean that both the wire and the magnetic field is along the z-axis (and not the y-axis)? If both are along the z-axis, no force will will act on that part.

I think the only part of the wire that matters is the part that isn't parallel to the magnetic field (ie from -6 to 0 along the x axis, which is perpendicular to the field).

Yes, it is the z-axis, not the y.

So is the equation just going to be F=6x62x0.11?

1. What is the magnetic force of a wire?

The magnetic force of a wire is the force that a magnetic field exerts on a current-carrying wire. It is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the moving charges within the wire.

2. How is the magnetic force of a wire calculated?

The magnetic force of a wire can be calculated using the equation F = I * L * B * sin(theta), where I is the current in the wire, L is the length of the wire, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and theta is the angle between the wire and the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the magnetic force of a wire?

The magnetic force of a wire is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current in the wire, the length of the wire, and the angle between the wire and the magnetic field. Additionally, the material of the wire can also affect the magnetic force.

4. How does the direction of the current in a wire affect the magnetic force?

The direction of the current in a wire determines the direction of the magnetic force. If the current is flowing in the same direction as the magnetic field, the wire will experience a repulsive force. If the current is flowing in the opposite direction, the wire will experience an attractive force.

5. What are some real-life applications of the magnetic force of a wire?

The magnetic force of a wire has many practical applications, including electric motors, generators, speakers, and particle accelerators. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI machines and in magnetic levitation trains.