Magnetic force on triangular loop of wire

In summary: Then you can use "s" as a variable.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force on a triangular loop in a figure using cylindrical polar coordinates. The equations used are the Biot-Savart law and the force equation. The attempt at a solution involves finding the magnetic field due to the lower wire and using Cartesian coordinates to integrate along the two wires. The cross product and force integral for the B and C lengths are also discussed, with concerns about using the correct directions and limits of integration. The suggestion is made to use a different variable instead of "s" to avoid confusion.
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

Find the force on the triangular loop in the figure:
I am trying to do this in cylindrical polar coordinates, because it builds character.
triangle_loop.png

Homework Equations

$$\vec{B}(\vec{r}) = \frac{\mu _0}{4\pi} \int \frac{I(d\vec{l} \times \hat{\alpha})}{|\vec{\alpha}|^2}$$
Where alpha is the script r vector (I couldn't figure out how to do script r in mathjax).
and

$$\vec{F} = I\int (d\vec{I} \times \vec{B})$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the magnetic field due to the lower wire by using the Biot-Savart law and an example in the book. It is $$\frac{\mu _0 I}{2s\pi} \hat{\phi}$$

The solution uses Cartesian coordinates to integrate along the two wires. I figure that the (x,y) coordinates would be the (z,s) coordinates from the way I set up my cylindrical system (+z is along the wire and +s is up).

The cross product is:
$$d\vec{l_A} \times \vec{B} = \begin{vmatrix} s & \phi & z \\ 0 & 0 & -dz \\ 0 & \frac{\mu _0 I}{2s\pi} & 0 \end{vmatrix} = \frac{\mu _0 I}{2s\pi}\hat{s} $$

Then the force is:
$$\vec{F_A} = I\int^{a}_{0}\frac{\mu _0 I}{2\pi}dz\hat{s} = \frac{\mu _0 I^2a}{2\pi}\hat{s}$$

Then, finding the cross product for the B and C lengths become more difficult because I'm not quite sure if I am using the correct directions and I'm unsure of my limits of integration.
$$ d\vec{l_B} \times \vec{B} = \begin{vmatrix} s & \phi & z \\ ds & 0 & dz \\ 0 & \frac{\mu _0 I}{2s\pi} & 0 \end{vmatrix} = -\frac{\mu _0 I}{2s\pi}dz\hat{s} + \frac{\mu _0 I}{2s\pi}ds\hat{z}$$

And the Force integral is:
$$\vec{F_B} = I\int-\frac{\mu _0 I}{2s\pi}dz\hat{s} + I\int \frac{\mu _0 I}{2s\pi}ds\hat{z}$$

Again I am uncertain if these integrals are correct and I'm unsure of the limits. I believe for dz differential I should be integrating between 0 and a. For the ds differential I should be integrating between s and √¾a. The integrals will give me a root3/2 and a natural log expression which are in the answer key, but I am not confident that what I am doing is correct.

Attachments

• triangle_loop.png
    triangle_loop.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 719
Physics news on Phys.org
rmiller70015 said:
I figure that the (x,y) coordinates would be the (z,s)
Do yourself a favor. Don't use "s" as a variable because the symbol has been reserved as the fixed distance between the long wire and the base of the triangular loop. Call it something else, r is good if you insist on cylindrical coordinates.

kuruman said:
Do yourself a favor. Don't use "s" as a variable because the symbol has been reserved as the fixed distance between the long wire and the base of the triangular loop. Call it something else, r is good if you insist on cylindrical coordinates.

The book likes to call it s, so I went with that, but I think I see what you're saying. If I do that integral with respect to s, I might accidentally integrate it and the s should show up in the limits.

If the book calls it "s" and you like it, then relabel in the figure the distance between the long wire and the base of the triangle something other than "s".

1. What is the magnetic force on a triangular loop of wire?

The magnetic force on a triangular loop of wire is the force exerted on the loop by a magnetic field. It is dependent on the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the wire, and the orientation of the loop in the magnetic field.

2. How is the magnetic force calculated on a triangular loop of wire?

The magnetic force on a triangular loop of wire can be calculated using the formula F = I * l * B * sin(theta), where F is the magnetic force, I is the current, l is the length of the wire, B is the magnetic field strength, and theta is the angle between the wire and the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the magnetic force on a triangular loop of wire?

The magnetic force on a triangular loop of wire is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the wire, and the orientation of the loop in the magnetic field. Additionally, the shape and size of the loop can also affect the magnetic force.

4. How does the orientation of the triangular loop of wire affect the magnetic force?

The orientation of the triangular loop of wire in the magnetic field can greatly affect the magnetic force. When the loop is parallel to the magnetic field, the force is at its maximum. When the loop is perpendicular to the magnetic field, the force is at its minimum. The force is zero when the loop is oriented at a 45 degree angle to the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of the magnetic force on a triangular loop of wire?

The magnetic force on a triangular loop of wire is used in many real-world applications. It is used in electric motors to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, in generators to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, and in MRI machines to produce detailed images of the body. It is also used in particle accelerators to manipulate and control the movement of charged particles.