Magnetic Lift & Earth's Magnetism: Exploring Possibilities

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using magnetic lift or electromagnetism in an aircraft's engine for more efficient lift. The person admits to having limited knowledge about the Earth's magnetism and questions whether it could be used for lift. It is then mentioned that the Earth's magnetic field is too weak to be of any significance for aircraft lift.
dcolemanroush
Hello,
I have an idea i have been working on for some time. I am a meteorologist and pilot, and i love aviation, especially design. I have been playing with the idea of magnetic lift (as in when one magnet is repelled from another magnet) or electromagnetism in an engine, to create a different form of lift for an aircraft, and a more efficient engine. But what i have been thinking about recently is the magnetosphere and the magnetism of the earth. Unfortunately i know very little about both subjects. My question then, is can the magnetism in or around the Earth be used to create any sort of lift? or has it been tried before?

Physics news on Phys.org
I won't bother with it. It is much too weak to matter for an aircraft lift.

The Earth's magnetic flux density ranges from 25 to 65 microtesla.
So as nasu said, it's a very weak field.

Last edited:

1. What is magnetic lift?

Magnetic lift is the force exerted by a magnetic field on a magnetic object. It allows objects to be lifted and moved without physical contact, making it useful for applications such as material handling and transportation.

2. How does Earth's magnetism affect our daily lives?

Earth's magnetic field plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It protects us from harmful solar radiation and helps animals navigate. It also allows for the development of technologies such as compasses and MRI machines.

3. Can Earth's magnetic field change over time?

Yes, Earth's magnetic field is not constant and has changed in strength and direction over time. These changes can be caused by various factors, including the movement of Earth's molten core and interactions with the sun's magnetic field.

4. Can we harness Earth's magnetism for energy?

While Earth's magnetic field can't be directly harnessed for energy, it can be used to generate electricity through magnetic induction. This process involves moving a conductor through a magnetic field, which creates an electric current.

5. How do scientists study Earth's magnetic field?

Scientists use a variety of instruments, such as magnetometers, to measure Earth's magnetic field. They also study the magnetic properties of rocks and minerals to understand how Earth's magnetic field has changed over time.