Magnetic moment is an intrinsic property of elementary particles?

In summary, the origin of the magnetic moment of elementary particles is a complex topic that is still being studied by scientists. While the magnetic moment of elementary fermions can be calculated from first principles, it is much harder to calculate for composed hadrons. The magnetic moment is related to the intrinsic angular momentum of the particle, but the exact connection is still an experimental fact. Further research and experiments are needed to fully understand the origin of the magnetic moment of elementary particles.
cks
My question is stated in the title. I wonder is it that scientists are not able to explain the origin of magnetic moment of elementary particles and say that it's an intrinsic property just like mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
I mean, magnetic moment of a current loop is the integration of current over vector dA. but the magnetic moment of elementary particle can only be measured by experiment, but cannot found by calculation?

cks said:
My question is stated in the title. I wonder is it that scientists are not able to explain the origin of magnetic moment of elementary particles and say that it's an intrinsic property just like mass.

The magnetic moment of elementary fermions such as electrons is calculable from first principles ; however, the magnetic moment of composed hadrons is much harder to calculate from first principles as it is a complicated bound QCD state.

Edit:

for an elementary fermion, the magnetic moment is given by:

g e hbar / (2 m0) x spin

where g is a calculable number in QED, which equals 2 in tree approximation, and which takes on higher-order calculations when taking into account loop diagrams.

Last edited:
Thank you very much.

In fact it is not a calculation from first principles.
The intrinsic angular momentum of the electron pops from the Dirac Equation. The relation of this to the magnetic momentum is another thing. If you argue that any spinning charge have magnetic momentum I must to ask you the size of the charge, which we now is zero. The connection is an experimental fact. The QED calculations starts from the fact there are such connection.

1. What is a magnetic moment?

A magnetic moment is a measure of the strength and orientation of a magnetic field created by a particle or object. It is also known as the magnetic dipole moment.

2. How is the magnetic moment related to elementary particles?

The magnetic moment is an intrinsic property of elementary particles, meaning it is a fundamental characteristic that cannot be broken down into smaller components. It is related to the spin and charge of the particle.

3. How is the magnetic moment of a particle measured?

The magnetic moment of a particle is measured by placing it in a magnetic field and observing how it interacts with the field. This can be done using various experimental techniques, such as nuclear magnetic resonance or electron spin resonance.

4. What is the significance of the magnetic moment of elementary particles?

The magnetic moment of elementary particles is important in understanding their properties and behavior. It can also be used to study the structure of materials and the interactions between particles.

5. Can the magnetic moment of a particle change?

Yes, the magnetic moment of a particle can change under certain conditions, such as when it interacts with an external magnetic field. This change can provide valuable information about the particle's behavior and properties.