How can I calculate the magnetic moment of a solenoid with specific parameters?

In summary, the magnetic moment of an air gap solenoid with a 12V power supply, 1200 turns, 6cm length, and 1mm wire can be calculated using the formula: B = u0NI/G, where B is the flux density in Teslas, u0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns, I is the current, and G is the length of the gap along the field lines. The intensity of the magnetic field can then be used to calculate the force applied to an object near the solenoid. It is recommended to have a shorter gap inside the coil and a cross-sectional area of the permeable material outside the coil that is at least twice
Jake110
Could someone show me how to calculate the magnetic moment of a solenoid, it's an air gap solenoid, 12V power supply, 1200 turns, 6cm long, the current works out to around 5-7 A and uses 1mm wire (18 AWG or 19 SWG). the flux density works out at about 3 Teslas.

If what I'm using it for effects how you calculate it, I'm using it to work out the intensity of the magnetic field which I can then use to calculate the force applied to an object near the solenoid.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jake-
In the attached thumbnail, in fig B, reverse the location of the gap so it is inside the coil and as short as possible. A shorter gap is better. Also, the cross-sectional area of the permeable material outside the coil should be at least twice the cross-sectional area of the coil itself.
Bob S

Attachments

• Solenoid dwgs.jpg
    Solenoid dwgs.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 2,430
Last edited:
so I'm i getting this right, its the same if the gap is vertical through the coil from the top to the bottom? so then G would be the horizontal distance of the gap?

Jake110 said:
so I'm i getting this right, its the same if the gap is vertical through the coil from the top to the bottom? so then G would be the horizontal distance of the gap?
Hi Jake-
The size of the gap G is always the length measured along the field lines, and it should be small relative to the total length measured around the magnetic loop. The field in the gap is strongest if it is inside the solenoid coil.

B = u0NI/G Tesla in the gap.

Bob S

1. What is the definition of magnetic moment of a solenoid?

The magnetic moment of a solenoid is a measure of the strength of its magnetic field and is defined as the product of the number of turns in the solenoid, the current flowing through it, and the area of the cross-section of the solenoid.

2. How is the magnetic moment of a solenoid calculated?

The magnetic moment of a solenoid can be calculated by using the formula M = nIA, where n is the number of turns, I is the current, and A is the cross-sectional area of the solenoid.

3. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic moment of a solenoid?

The unit of measurement for magnetic moment of a solenoid is ampere-square meter (A⋅m²).

4. How does the magnetic moment of a solenoid change with the number of turns?

The magnetic moment of a solenoid is directly proportional to the number of turns, so increasing the number of turns will increase the strength of the magnetic field.

5. What factors can affect the magnetic moment of a solenoid?

The magnetic moment of a solenoid can be affected by the strength of the current, the number of turns, the material of the core, and the shape and size of the solenoid. It can also be affected by external factors such as nearby magnetic fields.