Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating current through solenoid?

1. Feb 24, 2015 #1
    Not for a class or anything, just out of curiosity, how would you calculate the current in a solenoid, not given a magnetic field, but just using a bar magnet? I know it will just be some form of Faraday's law. E=N(dphi/dt). Maybe not. I'm imagining all I'm really missing is how to calculate the magnetic field of the magnet. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2015 #2
    Take the solenoid and connect a voltmeter or multimeter across it. Move the barmagnet towards the solenoid and there should be a deflection in the voltmeter because ##\phi## changes when you keep moving the barmagnet.
    or as you know, the bar magnet is also like a solenoid. The expression for magneticfield for barmagnet along axis is $$B=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\frac{2m}{r^3}$$

4. Feb 24, 2015 #3
    So, just a little clarification, I did a little research online, is M the magnetic strength of each pole and r, I take it is the distance?

Thanks btw.

5. Feb 24, 2015 #4
    M is the magnetic fipole moment. Here, ##m=n(2L)I(\pi a^2)##
    L is the length from midpoint to one end and 'a' is the radius. 'r' is the distance from midpoint to any point along the axis.

6. Feb 24, 2015 #5
    Awesome. Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook