Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Oscillation Equations

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1
    Hi all,

I am wondering if someone can please help me with determining the mathematical relationships concerned with magnetic oscillation.

My experimental design is as follows:
    A thin pole is positioned vertically and two ring magnets are placed on it (North Poles facing). The "top" magnet is raised to a point 20 centimeters above the bottom magnet, and it is released. The top magnet is allowed to oscillate.

Can someone please help me with determining ANY mathematical relationships to do with this topic, such as a position versus time equation. Also, if someone would be able to recommend a program that will perform curve-fits for cosine functions, it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, RC.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2009 #2
    first u have to find out the force of one pole over other...by integrating it all over...
    den for small displacement ...making appropriate assumptions.. find acceleration..
    it wud be better if u go for acceleration vs time curve...
    for curve fittin..MATLAB do the best job....there are other tools too...

4. Nov 22, 2009 #3
    Ignoring induced currents and such more, you probably want to use F = ma and solve the resulting second order differential equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook