Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic resonances of different steel grades

1. Jul 18, 2011 #1
    Ok folks, newbie here, with ideas of granduer.
    I need to find out if the magnetic resonances of 304 stainless and 316 stainless. I know that the differnet compositions of metal alloys will have diferent magnetic properties. ie, the amount of iron ferrite in stainless should have a corresponding value to differentiate the different types.
    thank you in advance for your patience. I dont really know a whole lot about physics. please put your answers into terms a carpenter can understand. Layman's terms.

Thank you, Jason

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2011 #2
    I don't expect any magnetic resonance from 304 nor 316. Both are initially austenitic, never ferritic, and very weakly ferromagnetic. They can become more ferromagnetic if cold-worked; 316 little, 304 more, especially the variants with more carbon (=not 316L).

This is said to relate with the partial transformation from austenite into martensite, which is ferromagnetic. Sure! As far as metallurgy is a science...

In these alloys, carbon eases the transformation into martensite by cold work, but nickel opposes, hence 304 > 304L > 316 > 316L.

One note: 316L does harden by cold work, though it stays very little ferromagnetic, which would imply that the hardening process is NOT martensitic transformation - as opposed to what textbooks claim. 316L can become as hard as any other, it just needs more deformation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook