1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic strength cannot be measured

1. Jan 14, 2012 #1
    I don't get the following passage from my textbook. Why can't the magnetic force be measured? I don't see why there is no unit for p.

If one pole of a long, thin bar magnet is placed in the vicinity of one pole of another long, thin bar magnet, Coulomb’s magnetic force law states: The magnetic force F between one pole of magnetic strength p1 and another pole of magnetic strength p2 is inversely proportional to the square of the distance r between
    them, or F ∝ p1p2/2 . It is not possible, however, to find a proportionality constant, because it is not possible to define a unit for p, a magnetic monopole

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I *think* it's just saying that because there are no magnetic monopoles, which would be an object that is only 1 pole of a magnet, aka a "magnetic charge", we cannot define a constant to it's strength like we can with the electric force, which does have single charges of both positive and negative. Not sure though.

4. Jan 15, 2012 #3
    I would agree with Drakkith. In electricity and gravitation it is possible to define a unit charge and a unit mass but I have never met a definition of a unit magnetic pole.

5. Jan 15, 2012 #4

clem

Science Advisor

The magnetic pole strength at the end of a bar magnet equals MA, where M is the magnetization and A the area lof the end in Gaussian units. The unit of pole strength is
    gauss-cm^2. The end acts like a point monopole when its area is small compare to r^2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook