Magnetic Stripes and reading them

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of magnetic stripes and the lack of readily available documentation about them. The speaker expresses a desire to learn more and asks if anyone knows of any good resources. Another speaker mentions ISO standards and a page with a summary of the data format. They also recommend the Wikipedia page, which has useful references.
ROM_Jeremy
Good day.

I have recently become very interested in magnetic stripes; how they store data, how the data is read etc. They are something we use every day in our lives but what few people fully understand, and as a result, there is little documentation avaiable (from what I can find) that goes in debth about them. I want to learn everything I can about them, which is why I am posting here; to ask if anybody knows of some good documentation about magnetic stripe cards and readers?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The format of the data is described in ISO 7813 and 4909
This page has a summary (ISO standards are expensive to buy)
http://www.gae.ucm.es/~padilla/extrawork/tracks.html

1. What are magnetic stripes and how do they work?

Magnetic stripes are thin, black strips found on the back of credit and debit cards, ID cards, and many other types of cards. They consist of a layer of magnetic particles that can be magnetized in different directions, creating a unique pattern of positive and negative poles. This pattern is then read by a magnetic stripe reader, which translates it into data that can be used for various purposes.

2. How are magnetic stripes read?

Magnetic stripes are read by a device called a magnetic stripe reader. This device contains a small electromagnet that creates a magnetic field. When the stripe is swiped through the reader, the magnetic particles on the stripe align with the magnetic field, causing a change in the electrical current of the reader. This change in current is then translated into data by the reader, which can be read and processed by a computer or other device.

3. What information is stored on a magnetic stripe?

The information stored on a magnetic stripe varies depending on the type of card. Generally, it includes the cardholder's name, account number, and expiration date. For credit and debit cards, it may also include the card's security code and the card issuer's identification number. Other types of cards, such as ID cards, may store different types of information, such as personal identification numbers or access codes.

4. Are magnetic stripes secure?

While magnetic stripes have been used for decades as a way to store and transmit data, they are not considered to be very secure. The data stored on magnetic stripes can be easily copied or altered using inexpensive equipment, making them vulnerable to fraud and identity theft. As a result, many card issuers are now using more advanced technologies, such as EMV chips, to improve security.

5. Can magnetic stripes be demagnetized?

Yes, magnetic stripes can be demagnetized if they come into contact with a strong magnetic field. This can happen if the card is placed near a magnetic object, such as a cell phone or a magnet. When this occurs, the data on the stripe may become corrupted or erased, rendering the card unusable. To prevent this from happening, it is important to keep cards with magnetic stripes away from strong magnetic fields.