Magnetic Switching

• Thread starter kor
  • Start date
kor

Main Question or Discussion Point

For the same material, same rectangular shape and the same length,
The wider one or the narrow one will switch their magnetic direction parallel to the applied magnetic field(assuming their direction is anti parallel to the magnetic field initially )?
And Why?

Answers and Replies

Can you provide a sketch of your setup?
What switches, and why?
Does your question assumes that exactly one material (?) switches its magnetic field?

I think there is some context missing here.

kor
The material is ferromagnetic material.
I want to know the effect of the wideness in the hysteresis loop

berkeman
Mentor
For the same material, same rectangular shape and the same length,
The wider one or the narrow one will switch their magnetic direction parallel to the applied magnetic field(assuming their direction is anti parallel to the magnetic field initially )?
And Why?
The material is ferromagnetic material.
I want to know the effect of the wideness in the hysteresis loop
Sorry, your question is still not clear (at least not to me yet).

Are you asking about switching speed versus the shape of the hysteresis loop? Or some other question?

As long as you can drive the field far enough, you will switch the direction of the magnetization. In terms of speed, the μ of the magnetic material will affect its inductance when wound as an electromagnet, which can limit how fast you could drive the hysteresis loop...

kor
I want to know the wideness of the material versus the shape of the hysteresis loop

kor
berkeman
Mentor
Yup It is the physical size. I am sorry about the misleading. I just want to say they have the same easy axis . I am sorry about that.
For two samples of the same material, the physically larger one will take more power to drive into saturation. Or, given the same drive power, the smaller sample will be driven farther into saturation.

Is that what you are asking about?

kor
For two samples of the same material, the physically larger one will take more power to drive into saturation. Or, given the same drive power, the smaller sample will be driven farther into saturation.

Is that what you are asking about?
From the graph above, I want to ask if the external magnetic field change from the negative to positive. At Point B , the physically larger one will have a larger value ?