1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Switching

1. Aug 17, 2012 #1

kor

For the same material, same rectangular shape and the same length,
    The wider one or the narrow one will switch their magnetic direction parallel to the applied magnetic field(assuming their direction is anti parallel to the magnetic field initially )?
    And Why?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Can you provide a sketch of your setup?
    What switches, and why?
    Does your question assumes that exactly one material (?) switches its magnetic field?

I think there is some context missing here.

4. Aug 17, 2012 #3

kor

The material is ferromagnetic material.
    I want to know the effect of the wideness in the hysteresis loop

5. Aug 17, 2012 #4

berkeman

Sorry, your question is still not clear (at least not to me yet).

Are you asking about switching speed versus the shape of the hysteresis loop? Or some other question?

As long as you can drive the field far enough, you will switch the direction of the magnetization. In terms of speed, the μ of the magnetic material will affect its inductance when wound as an electromagnet, which can limit how fast you could drive the hysteresis loop...

6. Aug 17, 2012 #5

kor

I want to know the wideness of the material versus the shape of the hysteresis loop

7. Aug 17, 2012 #6

berkeman

8. Aug 17, 2012 #7

kor

9. Aug 17, 2012 #8

berkeman

For two samples of the same material, the physically larger one will take more power to drive into saturation. Or, given the same drive power, the smaller sample will be driven farther into saturation.

Is that what you are asking about?

10. Aug 18, 2012 #9

kor

From the graph above, I want to ask if the external magnetic field change from the negative to positive. At Point B , the physically larger one will have a larger value ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook