Magnetism vs Altitude: Magnetic Pull & Gravity

In summary, magnetism is a strong force that can overcome gravity and lift objects, such as an iron plate attached to a horseshoe magnet. The force between two magnets decreases with distance and magnetic levitation technology can work up to 30cm altitude. Altitude does not significantly impact the attraction between a horseshoe magnet and an iron plate.
homerwho
Magnetism as an attractive force can overcome gravity and lift things. I'm suggesting that a horseshoe magnet will overcome gravity and lift things off of the ground. Is there a reduction of magnetic pull with altitude?

Physics news on Phys.org
Force between two magnets falls off 1/r^4, where r-distance between magnets.

The "magnetic levitation" technology do exist and is generally effective up to 30cm altitude. Google "maglev" for details.

I've seen the levitating frog in a magnetic field. I asking if a horeshoe magnet and an iron plate stuck to the magnet. Will altitude decay the force on the plate to where the plate falls off of the magnet

homerwho said:
I've seen the levitating frog in a magnetic field. I asking if a horeshoe magnet and an iron plate stuck to the magnet. Will altitude decay the force on the plate to where the plate falls off of the magnet
Typical horseshoe magnet (hard ferromagnetic) attraction to nearby soft ferromagnetic (iron plate) is independent of altitude.

Likes homerwho

1. What is the relationship between magnetism and altitude?

The relationship between magnetism and altitude is complex and not fully understood. However, it is known that as altitude increases, the strength of Earth's magnetic field decreases. This is because the magnetic field is generated by the Earth's core, and as altitude increases, there is less material between the core and the surface to maintain the strength of the field.

2. How does altitude affect the magnetic pull of a magnet?

As altitude increases, the magnetic pull of a magnet decreases. This is because the strength of Earth's magnetic field, which the magnet interacts with, decreases with altitude. Additionally, the air at higher altitudes is less dense, which means there is less material for the magnetic field to interact with, resulting in a weaker magnetic pull.

3. Is there a difference in magnetic pull between different altitudes?

Yes, there is a difference in magnetic pull between different altitudes. As mentioned before, the strength of Earth's magnetic field decreases with altitude, so a magnet will have a stronger pull at sea level compared to a higher altitude.

4. How does altitude affect the strength of gravity?

Altitude has a minimal effect on the strength of gravity. While the strength of Earth's magnetic field decreases with altitude, the force of gravity remains relatively constant. This is because gravity is primarily influenced by the mass and density of the Earth, rather than the distance from the Earth's surface.

5. Can altitude affect the direction of a compass?

Yes, altitude can affect the direction of a compass. As altitude increases, the strength of Earth's magnetic field decreases, which can cause a compass to point slightly off from true north. This effect is known as magnetic declination and varies depending on location and altitude. It is important for navigators to take this into account when using a compass at different altitudes.