Magneto-Therapy in Physiotherapy -- Does it work?

• Thread starter VACUUMIST
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, there is evidence that magnet therapy may have some benefits for treating OCD, but these are not FDA approved and the use is not without risks.
VACUUMIST
TL;DR Summary
Does exist proof of succesful benefits?
I would be glad to know if there is evidence of the efficiency of physiotherapy based on magnetism.

Biology news on Phys.org
VACUUMIST said:
Summary:: Does exist proof of successful benefits?

I would be glad to know if there is evidence of the efficiency of physiotherapy based on magnetism.
Welcome to PF.

I believe I've seen an FDA approved treatment involving magnets, but I'll have to do a quick search. Which therapies do you have in mind? Can you post links to reputable websites (including the FDA) that have information about the therapies you are asking about?

This is the treatment I was thinking of (but it's for treating OCD, not general physiotherapy):

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...ation-treatment-obsessive-compulsive-disorder

1623440556022.png

Dear Berkeman

Thnks for your answer.
No intracraneal applications!
Only its use to relieve joint pain or tendinitis.

FYI

berkeman said:
I believe I've seen an FDA approved treatment involving magnets, but I'll have to do a quick search.
Please be aware that this device was submitted under a new Trump-era FDA doctrine called "de novo" submission which bypasses most safeguards regarding effectiveness. It also clears the way for marketing the product as part of a 510k submission if I comprehend. It is, of course, a corruption.
https://www.fda.gov/about-fda/cdrh-...matic-class-iii-designation-de-novo-summaries

"Because devices classified under this pathway (De N ovodevices) are low to moderate r isk devices, they may not need to confer a s substantial a b enefit to pa tie nts7in orde r to have a favorable benefit-risk prof ile . Devices granted marke tingauthority under De Novorequests should be suffi ciently understood to explain all the r isks and benefits of the device such that a ll risks can be a ppropriately mitigated through theapplication of general and/or special c ontrols to provide reasonable a ssurance of s afetyand effectivene ss. Fur ther, devices classified under De Novorequests may serve a s predicates f or future devices which can be a ppropriately regulated through the 510(k) pr og ram; therefore, FDA carefully considers the benefit-risk prof ile of these de vices in the de termination that there is reasonable a ssuranc e of s afety and effectivene"

I believe it speaks little to bona-fide clinical effectiveness

• Informative
Likes atyy and berkeman
Thanks
I was thinking in some experimental report, pro or con.

VACUUMIST said:
Dear Berkeman

Thnks for your answer.
No intracraneal applications!
Only its use to relieve joint pain or tendinitis.
I haven't seen anything valid for that. Lots of woo devices, but nothing with FDA approval (and even that, modulo the clarification by @hutchphd above).

Likes hutchphd
thanks to both of you.

Likes berkeman and hutchphd
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsed_electromagnetic_field_therapy
Partial acceptance, there are links to the published research. The companies involved had legal action taken against them later on for violating FDA rules about advertising.

One off label use is for type II diabetic patients - button magnets for improved healing rates post podiatric surgery for 24 hours using a set of magnets embedded in the dressing.

1. What is magneto-therapy and how does it work?

Magneto-therapy is a form of alternative medicine that uses magnetic fields to treat various health conditions. It is based on the belief that these magnetic fields can stimulate the body's natural healing processes. The magnets are typically placed on or near the affected area of the body and are thought to improve blood flow and reduce pain and inflammation.

2. Is there any scientific evidence that supports the effectiveness of magneto-therapy?

While there is some research on the use of magnetic fields for pain relief, the evidence for the effectiveness of magneto-therapy in physiotherapy is limited. Some studies have shown positive results, but they are often small and of poor quality. More high-quality research is needed to determine the true effectiveness of this treatment.

3. What conditions can magneto-therapy treat?

Magneto-therapy is often marketed as a treatment for a wide range of conditions, including arthritis, fibromyalgia, and sports injuries. However, there is not enough evidence to support its use for these conditions. It may be most effective for treating certain types of pain, such as low back pain and osteoarthritis, but more research is needed to confirm this.

4. Are there any risks or side effects associated with magneto-therapy?

Magneto-therapy is generally considered safe, but there are some potential risks and side effects to be aware of. The magnets used in this treatment can interfere with certain medical devices, such as pacemakers, so it is important to consult with a doctor before trying this therapy. Some people may also experience mild side effects, such as skin irritation or dizziness.

5. Can magneto-therapy be used in conjunction with other physiotherapy treatments?

Yes, magneto-therapy can be used alongside other physiotherapy treatments. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before combining treatments to ensure they are safe and effective together. Magneto-therapy may also be more effective when used as part of a comprehensive treatment plan that includes exercise, stretching, and other physiotherapy techniques.