Can a Peltier Work Against 315 Watts Heat Load? Graphs Inside!

In summary, a peltier device should not be operated naked, and a massive heat sink should be used on the hot side to make it operate as advertised.
Kaycee92
I'm planning to work on a water cooling device for physiotherapy using a peltier.

For this, I should be able to cool 500 g of water at a temperature of 35°C to 18° C.

This gives me a heat load of 315 Watts if I take time to be 3 mins.

Is it possible for a peltier to work against such a heat load? Where can I get graphs of heat load and DTmax, Vmax, Imax?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Kaycee92 said:
I'm planning to work on a water cooling device for physiotherapy using a peltier.

For this, I should be able to cool 500 g of water at a temperature of 35°C to 18° C.

This gives me a heat load of 315 Watts if I take time to be 3 mins.

Is it possible for a peltier to work against such a heat load? Where can I get graphs of heat load and DTmax, Vmax, Imax?

Thanks!

I haven't used them before, but a quick Google search seems to show units like what you want. Here is a commercial link from the top of the search:

http://www.virtualvillage.com/400w-...=&source=pla&gclid=CPz6t-7xx7ICFYaDQgoduB8AfQ

It claims to be a 400W unit that is 5cm X 5cm. Wow, I didn't know they could be that powerful in such a small package! (maybe I'm misinterpreting the specs, though)

http://www.virtualvillage.com/400w-...=&source=pla&gclid=CPz6t-7xx7ICFYaDQgoduB8AfQ

http://images.villageorigin.com/001540-017/001.jpg?s=600

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you will need a real datasheet to really figure out your answer. The 400W is the applied power to the Peltier. This is not to say it can transfer 400W of Heat - these tend to be relatively inefficient so much of the 400W will actually be given off as excess (waste) heat.

Windadct said:
I think you will need a real datasheet to really figure out your answer. The 400W is the applied power to the Peltier. This is not to say it can transfer 400W of Heat - these tend to be relatively inefficient so much of the 400W will actually be given off as excess (waste) heat.

Drats! I didn't include the mass of the heat sinks from my experiments...

OmCheeto said:
I did the exact same experiment a few weeks ago when I purchased the exact same device. Ouch!
I just did a slightly more controlled experiment with some heat sinks and insulation.
After applying ~60 joules over 10 seconds to the device, I measured the following values:

Tcold dropped 2 °C
Thot jumped 14 °C

The temperatures then of course over time equalized

But it is obvious that a massive heat sink is required on the Thot side to make the device operate as advertised.

Peltier devices should not be operated naked, as they will quickly exceed their rated temperatures ( 138 °C for the TEC1-12706 ).

Data down the drain. :grumpy:

And looking at this post now, it appears I was a bit sloppy. I think it should have read; "After applying ~60 joules/second for 10 seconds to the device", as it was a 60 watt device.

hmmm...

Assuming the hot and cold thermal sink masses were identical and in 1 ounce increments and made of 99.999% silver, how many silver coins were used in the above experiment, assuming Temp0 was 20°C?
Ignore the heat capacity of the peltier device.

Heat capacity of silver: 0.240 Joule/gram°C
28.35 grams/ounce

I would do the math, but I've a friend in from Florida and am scheduled to meet her in [STRIKE]an hour[/STRIKE] 25 minutes.

ps. It's possible that the original experiment had only one silver coin on the cold side of the device and several silver coins on the hot side. So don't shoot me if this doesn't work out.

pps. I was going to do this experiment at the river last year as rivers are great heat sinks and threw my peltier device in my tool bag, ended up not doing the experiment, only to forget the little bugger was in there until 8 months later when I cleaned out my tool bag and found it totally smashed to pieces.

What precautions should I take when I use a peltier?

Last thing I'd like to see is the entire system blowing up.

1. Can a Peltier device handle a heat load of 315 watts?

Yes, a Peltier device can handle a heat load of 315 watts. However, the effectiveness of the Peltier device will depend on various factors such as the size and efficiency of the device, the surrounding temperature, and the materials used.

2. How does a Peltier device work?

A Peltier device works by utilizing the thermoelectric effect, which occurs when an electrical current is passed through two different types of conductors, creating a temperature difference between them. The Peltier device consists of two ceramic plates with a layer of semiconductor material between them. When an electrical current is applied, one side of the device becomes cold while the other side becomes hot. This allows for heat transfer to occur from one side to the other.

3. What are the limitations of using a Peltier device?

One of the main limitations of using a Peltier device is its low efficiency. Peltier devices are only able to achieve a maximum efficiency of about 10-15%. They also have a limited heat transfer capacity and can only handle a certain amount of heat load before becoming less effective. In addition, Peltier devices can be expensive and may require additional cooling mechanisms to maintain their efficiency.

4. Can a Peltier device be used for both cooling and heating?

Yes, a Peltier device can be used for both cooling and heating. By simply reversing the direction of the electrical current, the side of the device that was previously cold will become hot and vice versa. This makes Peltier devices versatile and suitable for a variety of applications.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a Peltier device?

Yes, there are some safety concerns to consider when using a Peltier device. The device can become very hot or cold, depending on the direction of the electrical current, so caution should be taken when handling it. In addition, Peltier devices can draw a significant amount of power, so proper precautions should be taken to avoid overloading the power source and causing damage.