Which magnet configuration will produce a faster propelled ball?

• Thread starter Experimenter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary, the experimenter is building a demonstration on the impact of metal objects using two configurations of rare Earth magnets and steel balls. The question is which configuration will produce a faster propelled ball leaving the system on the right hand side. The experimenter has made some assumptions and is considering ways to minimize shattering and determine the initial velocity of the ball. Possible methods include adjusting the starting distance and using Doppler effect or stroboscopic methods to measure the velocity.
Experimenter
I am building a little experiment to demonstrate the impact of metal objects. It consists of the following two configurations:

Magnets used are grade N38 NdFeB rare Earth magnets.

##RM## - Cylindrical magnet that is 1 1/2" long x 1/2" diameter laid lengthwise
CM - 1/2" cube magnet
B - 1/2" diameter steel ball

Configuration 1:
##RM##-B-B-B

Configuration 2:
CM-B-B-B

A ball will be rolled to impact with the left side as the magnet draws it in. In theory, the impact should be transferred to the right most ball to the right of the magnet, causing it to disconnect from the group of balls to its left and roll to the right. The question is: Which of the two configurations will produce a faster propelled ball leaving the system on the right hand side. Assume that the impact force of the ball hitting the left hand side of each respective magnet is identical.

Thanks

The Experimenter

Physics news on Phys.org
Some assumptions

I should also add that the magnets are secured by paper tape so as not to move towards the ball being rolled from the left and that motion is restricted (by a track for example) to be only in the left and right directions.

Experimenter

The dashes indicate touching surfaces

Just so there is no confusion

You have presented nowhere near enough information for any of us to have any idea what will happen.

- Warren

Originally posted by Experimenter
Assume that the impact force of the ball hitting the left hand side of each respective magnet is identical.
I think this assumption is problematic. No way to really ensure this, IMO...

Still waiting for my magnets I just ordered... I do know one possibility though, they shatter!

Originally posted by chroot
You have presented nowhere near enough information for any of us to have any idea what will happen.

- Warren

What information is missing? I thought I presented all physical characteristics.

Thanks

Originally posted by arcnets
I think this assumption is problematic. No way to really ensure this, IMO...

One way to do this is by starting with a ball at rest to the left of the magnet. The starting distance from the magnet can be adjusted so that the force of impact is equal in both scenarios.

Thanks

Experimenter

Originally posted by On Radioactive Waves
Still waiting for my magnets I just ordered... I do know one possibility though, they shatter!

Shattering and chipping is a real problem. One way I thought of to minimize this possibility is to use a tiny steel washer to spread the force of impact from a single point on the face of the cylinder or cube, to a small circular area.

The starting distance from the magnet can be adjusted so that the force of impact is equal in both scenarios.
Can it? I doubt that.

You're talking about collison here, so force may not be the proper quantity at all. Momentum might.

I am referred to the energy transfer to the right most sphere and the initial velocity with which it starts rolling to the right.

I am referred to the energy transfer to the right most sphere and the initial velocity with which it starts rolling to the right.
That ball is made of steel, right? Plus, it's in the magnetic field, isn't it? So it will be slowed down while rolling away. By many effects, one of which is eddy currents. So how do you want to determine its initial velocity?

Originally posted by arcnets
That ball is made of steel, right? Plus, it's in the magnetic field, isn't it? So it will be slowed down while rolling away. By many effects, one of which is eddy currents. So how do you want to determine its initial velocity?

I only need the initial velocity at departure time (i.e. the time when it separates from the ball next to it.

Experimenter

I guess the most exact method to measure this would be one that uses Doppler effect - like when the police measure the speed of a car.

Maybe some stroboscopic method, or even video, will do as well.

1. How do magnets affect collisions?

Magnets can affect collisions by exerting a force on other magnetic objects or particles. This force can change the direction or speed of the objects, thus altering the outcome of the collision.

2. Can magnets be used to control collisions?

Yes, magnets can be used to control collisions by manipulating the forces acting on the objects involved. This can be done by strategically placing magnets to attract or repel the objects, or by using electromagnets to create a specific magnetic field.

3. Do magnets play a role in particle collisions?

Yes, magnets play a crucial role in particle collisions. In particle accelerators, magnets are used to control the trajectory of particles and to focus them into a tight beam. This allows scientists to study the properties of particles and their collisions.

4. Can magnets be used to increase the energy of collisions?

Yes, magnets can be used to increase the energy of collisions. This is done in particle accelerators where magnets are used to accelerate particles to extremely high speeds before colliding them with a target. The higher the speed of the particles, the more energy they have during the collision.

5. How do magnets affect the outcome of collisions in everyday life?

In everyday life, magnets can affect the outcome of collisions in a variety of ways. For example, the magnetic strip on a credit card can be used to swipe and make a transaction, which involves a collision between the card and the reader. Magnets are also used in car crashes to deploy airbags, which can reduce the impact of the collision on passengers.