Magnets and Electromagnets (Exptal Set-Up)

In summary, the speaker is looking for a way to create a large magnetic field without using expensive electromagnets like those found in MRI machines. They have two permanent magnets that can produce a static field of 5000 Gauss and are wondering if they can combine this with an electromagnet to create a changing magnetic field for levitation purposes. The only concern is that the AC field may demagnetize the permanent magnet over time.
Michael Lin
Hi all,
I need to create a very large magnetic field say 1Tesla (10000 Gauss). But I can not afford to build large electromagnets like the MRI machine. However, I have two permanent magnets that will create a static field of 5000 Gauss. My question is: can I superimpose magnetic fields created by the electromagnets onto the fields created by the permanent magnets? If so, how? There are obvious reasons why I need a changing magnetic field to maintain levitation of a smaller magnet.

Thanks for your help,
Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to superimpose the DC and AC magnetic fields pretty well. I think the only liability is that the AC magnetic field will tend to demagnetize the adjacent permanent magnet a bit over time.

Hello Michael,

It is possible to superimpose magnetic fields created by electromagnets onto the fields created by permanent magnets. This can be achieved by placing the permanent magnets and electromagnets in close proximity to each other, with their magnetic fields aligned in the same direction.

To create a stronger magnetic field, you can also increase the number of permanent magnets and adjust the distance between them and the electromagnets. This will allow for a stronger interaction between the two fields and potentially create a larger overall field strength.

Additionally, you can also vary the current flowing through the electromagnets to adjust the strength of their magnetic fields, which can further enhance the overall field strength.

However, it is important to note that the strength of the magnetic field will still be limited by the materials and design of the permanent magnets and electromagnets. If you are looking to create a very large magnetic field, it may be necessary to invest in larger and more powerful electromagnets or explore other options such as using superconducting materials.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your experiment!

1. What is the difference between a magnet and an electromagnet?

A magnet is a piece of material that produces a magnetic field, while an electromagnet is created by running an electrical current through a wire.

2. How do you create an electromagnet?

To create an electromagnet, you need a wire, a power source, and a magnetic material, such as iron. Wrap the wire around the magnetic material and connect it to the power source. The electrical current flowing through the wire will create a magnetic field around the material.

3. What factors affect the strength of an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet depends on the number of coils in the wire, the current flowing through the wire, and the type of magnetic material used. Increasing any of these factors will increase the strength of the electromagnet.

4. How can you demagnetize a magnet?

To demagnetize a magnet, you can heat it to a high temperature or drop it repeatedly on a hard surface. Both of these methods disrupt the alignment of the magnetic domains within the material, reducing its magnetic field.

5. What are some real-life applications of electromagnets?

Electromagnets are used in a variety of devices, such as electric motors, generators, and speakers. They are also used in MRI machines, particle accelerators, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also commonly found in household appliances, such as refrigerators and washing machines.