Magnets phenomena, please give explanation

In summary, this person is trying to explain that the magnets on a "magnetic wand" do not work the way most people think they do. The magnets on the wand are actually configured in a way that they switch from repelling to attracting each other.
bennyhagen
Hi everyone,

Can someone please explain to me what happens here? Why does the polarity reverse? My friend explains it like this, I quote: "as opposed to what is taught in schools, magnets have a centralized force field". Is there something to this? What happens here?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203631144239062

Engineering news on Phys.org
By the way, this is not a joke. I know about the bs surrounding this field, I just would like to know what exactly happens here.

facebook says "content unavailable"

Sorry my fault.

bennyhagen said:
Hi everyone,

Can someone please explain to me what happens here? Why does the polarity reverse? My friend explains it like this, I quote: "as opposed to what is taught in schools, magnets have a centralized force field". Is there something to this? What happens here?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203631144239062

No idea what your friend is trying to say, but the beginning of his statement would make me disregard the rest of his statement as BS.

I can think of a couple ways to make that trick "magnetic wand" thing. One would be to but batteries and an orientation switch to change the polarity of an electromagnet (the end toward the target). I don't have sound on the laptop I'm watching the video on, though, so there are probably other clues if I could listen to the explanation.

Jim -- Do you have a Facebook account? I had to sign into my account to see the video.

It's just that the magnets repel each other, then as he turns it upside down as shown, they attract each other. Isn't that only supposed to work with the opposite poles? Or is it like there's a different pole at each corners as well? If you know what I mean.

Last edited:
bennyhagen said:
It's just that the magnets repel each other, then as he turns it upside down as shown, they attract each other. Isn't that only supposed to work with the opposite poles? Or is it like there's a different pole at each corners as well? If you know what I mean.

Did you understand what I said about a way to do this magician's trick?

Yes, but I'm the guy filming it, there is no such trick. I have the magnets in my hand right now, without the frames, just the magnets. It still works. I turn them as shown in the video and they switch from repelling to attracting each other, like if I'd turn one to the opposite pole.

thanks Berkeman--
i don't frequent facebook, but the video did play..

my guess would be he has magnets with multiple poles on their surface
as in lower right image

bunch.gif

courtesy integrated magnetics, http://www.intemag.com/magnetics_101.html

so one way the poles attract, other way they oppose

but it's sure a complex structure ! One wonders what sort of gizmo it came out of.

Not sure if this was said already.

Seems obvious to me.

I describe the configuration as long magnets extending radially from a hub.

N and S are oriented along the circumference, that is through the thinnest part of the magnet, rather than radially, along the longest axis (which is the "normal" orientation). So one wide flat side is north and the other is south. As you go around the circumference you see NSNSNSNSNS etc.

In the pictures above, it would be "parallel to thickness".

A compass can prove this, as can a "normal" magnet with known poles (which is what a compass is).

1. What is the basic concept behind magnets and their behavior?

The basic concept behind magnets is that they have two poles, a north pole and a south pole, that attract or repel each other depending on their orientation. This is due to the magnetic fields produced by the movement of electrons within the magnet.

2. How do magnets attract and repel objects?

Magnets attract or repel objects due to the force of their magnetic field. When the north pole of one magnet is brought close to the north pole of another magnet, the two poles repel each other. Similarly, the north pole of one magnet will attract the south pole of another magnet.

3. Can magnets lose their magnetism over time?

Yes, magnets can lose their magnetism over time due to various factors such as exposure to heat, vibration, or strong magnetic fields. This process is known as demagnetization and can be reversed by exposing the magnet to a strong magnetic field in the opposite direction.

4. What materials can be magnetized?

The most common materials that can be magnetized are iron, nickel, and cobalt. These materials have magnetic domains, which are small areas where the magnetic fields of individual atoms align in the same direction, creating a net magnetic field for the material.

5. How can magnets be used in everyday life?

Magnets have a wide range of applications in everyday life, such as in electric motors, door catches, speakers, and credit cards. They are also used in medical imaging machines, such as MRI, and in generators to produce electricity. Additionally, magnets are used in compasses for navigation and in magnetic storage devices like hard drives.