Cylindrical Halbach array with a vertical magnetic field?

In summary, a cylindrical halbach array would be better suited for this application because it has its poles facing into the page, which would increase the flux density and create a stronger magnetic field.
rayjbryant
1593021699307.png
Similar to what is shown here, except the south side would be the weak side of the array.

A link to purchase one of these or at least the magnetic field arrangement would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
No. It would require magnetic monopoles. Linear Holbach arrays alternate poles.

1593025152833.png
So if I took this array and wrapped it into a cylinder I wouldn't get the same magnetic field?

That is, take the ends and connect them, with the strong and weak sides maintained in their current position.

The same field as what? You could make an annular ring with an open center and many alternating poles yes.
That is not what you had drawn!

IMG_20200624_150731.jpg

The magnet on the right is exactly the geometry at the base of any conical loudspeaker. The field goes into the page at the center and out at the periphery. The magnet is annular with axial field and there is a soft magnetic plate with center "axle" and backing plate to complete the "magnetic circuit". What are you trying to make?

Likes berkeman
worlds simplest electric train

I'd like to try this experiment but with a halbach array to see if I can increase the speed without increasing weight. The doubled strength of a halbach array, along with the fact that the magnetic field is already unbalanced means I can have a lighter more compact magnet (array) on each end.

• Love
Likes etotheipi and hutchphd
So I guess what I am asking is if I could make the desired halbach array simply by wrapping a planar array.

That is fantastic video...I've not seen that trick before.
Not sure I understand your plan though. The fields from those permanent magnets already is axial as is the field from the coil. Plus each end of the battery "car" actually gives forward thrust. I don't understand your picture of the "existing magnet" field.
Great stuff.

IMG_20200624_155648.jpg

The strong side would be where the greatest magnetic flux density from the coil is which would create a net force. The fact that the halbach array can be more compact and deliver twice the magnetic field strength would make this a more efficient machine.

IMG_20200624_161134.jpg
IMG_20200624_161142.jpg

If I understand the physics here the front and back magnets must be in the same direction (NSbatteryNS) not (NSbatterySN).
If that is true Halbach array is not what you want here. All the leaky flux is your friend.

For this to work properly the arrangement is (NSbatterySN) since one of the poles must be exposed to more flux to create a net force.

at 3:50 it is explained

I stand corrected...what an interesting system.
But i still do not know what you want . What does the "undesirable" geometry picture represent? The magnets as purchased already look like the "desirable" geometry in your picture (the flat ends are pole faces).

The cylindrical halbach arrays I'm finding have their poles oriented so that they point upward and not into the page. This poses a problem because a sideways cylinder will not fit in the coil. I need cylindrical halbach arrays that behave similar to a cylindrical magnet, with their pole facing into the page.
IMG_20200624_214200.jpg

rayjbryant said:
The cylindrical halbach arrays I'm finding
Can you please specify??
And why do you think an array will do any better here?? They are not necessarilly better...they just redirect flux...with this symmetry I don't see the utility. Convince me.

an example

I believe the performance will be improved because rather than wasting magnetic flux on the outer facing poles, it is redirected towards the middle where it will push back harder against the solenoid field, which according to Newtons third law will cause a greater force.

You do realize that thing is two inches in diameter? I am impressed by the uniformity of the interior field however.
My attempts to make these arrays do anything particularly useful have been singularly unimpressive. I think the highest flux density face pole magnets will better serve you. And perhaps a more conical pole face. I just do not see how to make a Halbach geometry do anything like what you want.
So thanks for the question...what a great toy!

1. What is a cylindrical Halbach array with a vertical magnetic field?

A cylindrical Halbach array with a vertical magnetic field is a type of permanent magnet arrangement that produces a strong and uniform magnetic field in a specific direction. It consists of a series of magnets arranged in a cylindrical shape, with their magnetic poles aligned in a specific pattern to create a vertical magnetic field.

2. How does a cylindrical Halbach array with a vertical magnetic field work?

The arrangement of magnets in a cylindrical Halbach array with a vertical magnetic field creates a strong and uniform magnetic field in a specific direction. This is achieved by arranging the magnets in a specific pattern, known as the Halbach array, which results in a cancellation of magnetic field on one side and an enhancement on the other side.

3. What are the applications of a cylindrical Halbach array with a vertical magnetic field?

A cylindrical Halbach array with a vertical magnetic field has a variety of applications, including in magnetic levitation systems, magnetic bearings, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It can also be used in particle accelerators, magnetic separators, and other devices that require a strong and uniform magnetic field.

4. What are the advantages of using a cylindrical Halbach array with a vertical magnetic field?

One of the main advantages of using a cylindrical Halbach array with a vertical magnetic field is its ability to produce a strong and uniform magnetic field in a specific direction. This makes it useful in applications where a precise and controlled magnetic field is required. Additionally, the arrangement of magnets in a Halbach array can also reduce the overall weight and size of the magnet.

5. Are there any limitations to using a cylindrical Halbach array with a vertical magnetic field?

One limitation of using a cylindrical Halbach array with a vertical magnetic field is that it can only produce a unidirectional magnetic field. This means that it cannot be used for applications that require a magnetic field in multiple directions. Additionally, the design and construction of a Halbach array can be complex and expensive, making it less practical for some applications.