Magnitude of Complex voltage vs Real Part

In summary, the problem is to plot the "magnitude" of a function for V_out of a circuit with an imaginary component. The desired plot is the real part, not the modulus, and it can be represented by a phasor in the complex plane.
teroenza

Homework Statement

I have been asked to plot the "magnitude" of a function for V_out of a circuit. It has an imaginary component. I know I need to plot the physical, real portion. But I do not understand if this means the magnitude (modulus) of this complex function, or just the real part. The function has two terms, one of which is real, the other imaginary. By plotting the "real part" I mean, just plotting the term that does not contain the imaginary unit (j).

In terms of the complex plane. Should I be plotting the magnitude of the line, or just it's projection onto the real axis?

Thank you

Homework Equations

a+bi=z
sqrt(a^2+b^2)=Magnitude(z)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
teroenza said:

Homework Statement

I have been asked to plot the "magnitude" of a function for V_out of a circuit. It has an imaginary component. I know I need to plot the physical, real portion. But I do not understand if this means the magnitude (modulus) of this complex function, or just the real part. The function has two terms, one of which is real, the other imaginary. By plotting the "real part" I mean, just plotting the term that does not contain the imaginary unit (j).

In terms of the complex plane. Should I be plotting the magnitude of the line, or just it's projection onto the real axis?

Thank you

Homework Equations

a+bi=z
sqrt(a^2+b^2)=Magnitude(z)

The Attempt at a Solution

Most probably they want the real part, not the modulus. The reasoning is as follows. For some AC voltage[tex]v(t) = V_0 \cos(\omega t + \phi) [/tex]we typically define a complex voltage: [tex]V(t) = V_0e^{i(\omega t + \phi)} [/tex]such that[tex]\Re[V(t)] = v(t) [/tex]where [itex]\Re[/itex] denotes the real part. You can verify for yourself that this is true using the Euler equation for complex exponentials. The reason for doing this is because complex exponentials are much easier to work with than sinusoids, and a lot of algebraic manipulations become much simpler. Furthermore, a vector in the complex plane is also a natural way of thinking of an AC signal. To see this, rewrite the equation as[tex] V(t) = \widetilde{V}e^{i\omega t} [/tex]where[tex]\widetilde{V} = V_0e^{i\phi} [/tex]So this complex amplitude, which consists of two real numbers (a magnitude and a phase) is just like a sinusoid, which has an amplitude and a phase. Those two numbers together contain all the information you need to know (the amplitude and the phase) to fully represent that AC signal (assuming that the frequency is a given). This complex voltage [itex]\widetilde{V}[/itex] is called a "phasor" (from "phased vector"), and engineers also sometimes use the notation [itex]\widetilde{V} = V_0 \angle \phi [/itex] to represent phasors.

You were correct, that is what they desired. Thank you very much.

1. What is the magnitude of a complex voltage?

The magnitude of a complex voltage refers to the length or size of the vector representation of the voltage. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary components of the voltage.

2. How is the magnitude of a complex voltage different from the real part?

The magnitude of a complex voltage takes into account both the real and imaginary components, while the real part only considers the horizontal component. The magnitude is a measure of the overall strength or amplitude of the voltage, while the real part is just one component of the voltage.

3. What is the relationship between the magnitude of a complex voltage and its phase angle?

The magnitude of a complex voltage and its phase angle are related through the trigonometric function, cosine. The phase angle is equal to the inverse cosine of the real part divided by the magnitude. In other words, the phase angle represents the angle between the voltage vector and the real axis on the complex plane.

4. How is the magnitude of a complex voltage used in circuit analysis?

The magnitude of a complex voltage is an important factor in determining the overall behavior of a circuit. It is used in calculations involving complex impedance, power, and current in AC circuits. It also helps in understanding the amplitude and frequency response of a circuit.

5. Can the magnitude of a complex voltage ever be negative?

No, the magnitude of a complex voltage is always a positive value. This is because it represents the length of the voltage vector, which cannot be negative. The sign of the voltage is determined by the phase angle and the direction of the voltage vector on the complex plane.