1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of Current through a Rectangular Loop, given the Magnetic field

1. Mar 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rectangular loop with dimensions 4.2 cm by 9.5 carries current I. The current in the loop produces a magnetic field at the center of the loop that has magnitude 5.60×10−5 T and direction away from you as you view the plane of the loop.

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \vec{B}=\frac{μ_0}{4\pi} \frac{Id\vec{l}\times \vec{r}}{r^2} (1.0) \ \ :|\vec{B}| =5.60 \times 10^{-5}; μ_0:= 4\pi \times 10^{-7} .[/tex]

Where, dl is length, r hat is the unit vector, r^2 is source to point (would like to get this checked though not sure).
    3. The attempt at a solution

Coordinate system: Holding up our left hand making an L with the index finger and thumb, let the thumb point in the + X direction index finger point in the +Y direction. Then the -Z direction will be defined in the direction we look.

Recall the unit vector is written in the form <i,j,k>. It becomes apparent using the "Right hand rule" the B field is pointing in the -k direction at all points; Thus, using the Principle of Superposition of Magnetic fields - The total magnetic field caused by several moving charges is the vector sum of the fields caused by the individual charges one can sum the magnetic field B created by the 4 wire segments(the dl vector is a vector with length dl, in the same direction as the current in the conductor).

Let B_1 be when L = 9.5 cm = .095m and r = 4.2cm /2 = .021 m is my r correct?
    Then,
    [tex] B_1=\frac{μ_0}{4\pi} \frac{I*L}{r^2} = \frac{μ_0}{4\pi} \frac{I*.095m}{.021^2m^2} .[/tex]

Since there are two sides with 9.5 cm that create a B field in the -K direction the B field produced them is 2*B_1.

Let B_2 be when L = 4.5 cm = .045m and r = 9.5 cm / 2 = .0475m; Then,

[tex] B_2=\frac{μ_0}{4\pi} \frac{I*L}{r^2} = \frac{μ_0}{4\pi} \frac{I*.045m}{.0475^2m^2} .[/tex]

Since there are two sides with 4.5cm that create a B field in the -K direction the B field produced by them is 2*B_2.

The Total B field is then 2B_1 + 2B_2

[tex] 5.60×10^{-5}T=\frac{μ_0}{4\pi} I2[ \frac{.095 m}{.021^2m^2}+ \frac{.042m}{.0475^2m^2}] .[/tex]

^ was wondering if that is correct.

(1.0) is Law of Biot and Savart.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted