Magnitude of force exerted by cables on a tower

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
CoilMaker
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Given the tower is 70 m high, and the force of FAB= 2 kN and the x and z components of the vector sum of the forces exerted on the tower by the 3 cables are zero. I have found the lengths of all 3 cables. I have also found the unit vectors for all 3 cables. I just do not know how to find the magnitude of FAC and FAD. I have attached a screen shot of the drawing and my work.
 
Attachments
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The vector sum of all the forces on the tower has to equal zero. Write the sum of the forces in each of the 3 dimentions (including the forces at the bottom of the tower), and set them to zero. You should have enough information to solve for the cable tensions.