Magnitude of net electric field

In summary, four point charges with a magnitude of 2.2 x 10^-12 C are fixed to the corners of a 3.0 cm square, with three positive charges and one negative charge. The magnitude of the net electric field at the center of the square can be found using the formula E = (k|q|)/r^2, but it may be necessary to combine the electric fields for all of the outside charges. The attempted calculation of ((8.99 x 10^9)(2.2 x 10^-12))/((3.0 x 10^-2)^2) resulted in an incorrect answer of 21.976. It is important to also consider multiplying by a factor of
mayo2kett
Four point charges have the same magnitude of 2.2 10-12 C and are fixed to the corners of a square that is 3.0 cm on a side. Three of the charges are positive and one is negative. Determine the magnitude of the net electric field that exists at the center of the square.

i tried using E=(k|q|)/r^2 but it wasn't working and I'm not sure how to combine the electric fields for all of the outside charges...

-annie

Physics news on Phys.org
Why doesn't that formula work?

this is what i tried ((8.99e9)(2.2e-12))/((3.0e-2)^2) and i got 21.976... so now am i supposed to multiply by 4? cause that answer i got isn't right
-annie

Last edited:
ahha i figured it out... :)

1. What is the magnitude of net electric field?

The magnitude of net electric field is the strength of the electric field at a given point, taking into account the contributions from all charges in the vicinity.

2. How is the magnitude of net electric field calculated?

The magnitude of net electric field is calculated by using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the source, and r is the distance from the source to the point where the electric field is being measured.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of net electric field?

The magnitude of net electric field is affected by the distance from the source, the amount and sign of the charges involved, and the medium in which the charges are located.

4. How does the direction of the electric field affect the magnitude of net electric field?

The direction of the electric field does not affect the magnitude of net electric field. However, it does affect the direction of the force experienced by a charged particle placed in the electric field.

5. Why is the magnitude of net electric field important?

The magnitude of net electric field is important because it determines the strength and direction of the force that a charged particle will experience in that field. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of electrically charged objects and their interactions with each other.