Magnus effect in flettner rotor

In summary, Mr. Lee discussed the Flettner rotor on a boat and its ability to create lift through the Magnus effect. He also mentioned the possibility of replicating this effect on a rotor to gain lift in a vertical direction and reduce downforce. He brought up the concept of Kutta-Joukowski as it applies to a cylinder and the unknown omnidirectional sailing efficiency of a horizontal rotor. The use of ground effect as a factor was also mentioned. Mr. Lee's main question was where to place the rotor on a boat, considering that a conventional sail is mounted closer to the bow. He expressed concern about the rotor becoming overpowered and driving the bow under. In response, it was confirmed that the vertical rotor can create
Mr lee
Mr lee said:
hi -new but enjoyed years, wit and wisdom
Flettner rotor on a boat - ie. magnus effect

Can the vertical rotor create lift?

a curve balls 'laces' exaggerate and bend the magnus effect.
can you replicate this effect on a rotor?
--perhaps to enable another direction of force-- up
optimally I would like to gain lift -to the vertical -reduce downforce
I understand Kutta–Joukowski as it applies to a cylinder.

horizontal rotor?--unknown omidirectional sailing efficiency
ground effect used as a factor?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
oop
sorry,meant to say thank you

Mr lee said:
oop
sorry,meant to say thank you
my purpose for asking is ;where to put the rotor?
a conventional sail creates lift, so is mounted nearer the bow

Mr lee said:
my purpose for asking is ;where to put the rotor?
a conventional sail creates lift, so is mounted nearer the bow
I;m afraid, if the rotor becomes overpowered, it will drive the bow(s) under

Mr lee said:
Flettner rotor on a boat - ie. magnus effect

Can the vertical rotor create lift?
Yes, lift is the aerodynamic force component perpendicular to the free-stream flow.

awesome, just what was needed. thank you

What is the Magnus effect in a Flettner rotor?

The Magnus effect in a Flettner rotor is a phenomenon where a spinning cylinder experiences a force perpendicular to the direction of fluid flow. This results in a lift force that can be used to generate propulsion.

How does the Magnus effect work in a Flettner rotor?

The Magnus effect is caused by the difference in air pressure on opposite sides of a spinning cylinder. As the cylinder rotates, the air on one side moves faster, creating lower pressure and causing the air on the other side to move slower, creating higher pressure. This pressure difference results in a lift force perpendicular to the direction of fluid flow.

What are the applications of the Magnus effect in Flettner rotors?

Flettner rotors have been used in various applications such as ship propulsion, wind turbines, and even as a potential method for generating lift in aircraft.

What factors affect the magnitude of the Magnus effect in Flettner rotors?

The magnitude of the Magnus effect in Flettner rotors can be affected by the rotational speed of the cylinder, the diameter of the cylinder, the speed of the fluid flow, and the shape of the cylinder.

How does the Magnus effect in Flettner rotors differ from traditional propeller propulsion?

The Magnus effect in Flettner rotors differs from traditional propeller propulsion in that it generates lift force perpendicular to the direction of fluid flow, while traditional propellers generate thrust force parallel to the direction of fluid flow. Additionally, Flettner rotors can be more efficient in certain conditions, such as low wind speeds, and do not require a propulsion shaft or gearbox.