Major and Transferring Info Needed

In summary, the individual is wondering if they can attend a 4-year university for 2 years and complete their GER's, then transfer to a more prestigious school and declare a major there. They are unsure if this is a good idea since the 2-year university they plan on attending does not offer the major they want (biochem). They are also considering declaring a bio/math major and seeking advice since no one in their family has gone to college before. They are advised to speak with the university they plan on transferring to for specific guidance.
Raisel
I was wondering if I could go to a 4 year university for 2 years instead of 4. Can I do all my GER's at that 2 year university, then transfer to a more prestigious school and declare a major there? Will that be a good idea? Because the university I'm planning on attending for 2 years doesn't offer the major that I want (biochem).

Or do you guys think it will be better if I declare my major as bio at the 2 year and then switch majors when I transfer?

No one in my family has gone to college before so I'm pretty much going into this blindly, and I'm in need of some help because I don't know how all of this works.

Thank you,

Raisel

Physics news on Phys.org
Your best bet is to talk to the school you plan on transferring to. They will know more specifically what your best course of action would be.

Ok, thank you very much! I'm also thinking about bio/math major...do you have any perspective on that?

1. What is a major?

A major is a specific field or subject of study that a student chooses to specialize in during their undergraduate education.

2. How do I choose a major?

Choosing a major can be a personal decision based on your interests, strengths, and career goals. It's important to research different majors, speak with advisors or professors, and consider your long-term goals.

3. What is the difference between a major and a minor?

A major is the main subject of study that a student focuses on, while a minor is a secondary area of study that complements the major. Minors usually require fewer courses and can provide a broadened understanding of a particular subject.

4. Can I change my major?

Yes, it's possible to change your major. However, it's important to consider the potential impact on your graduation timeline and academic requirements. It's best to speak with an advisor before making any changes.

5. What information do I need to know when transferring to a different university?

When transferring to a different university, you will need to research their transfer requirements, including GPA, course credits, and application deadlines. You may also need to provide official transcripts, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. It's important to plan ahead and communicate with both universities to ensure a smooth transfer process.