First Year Physics at Marquette: Advice and Expectations

• Programs
  • Thread starter austim14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, expect more depth and rigor in college level physics courses compared to high school. If you have only taken algebra based physics, you will still encounter similar concepts but with a more advanced approach to math. It is recommended to wait until late sophomore or early junior year to pursue research as a freshman with little knowledge in college physics.
austim14
I am going to college in the fall at Marquette University and intend to major in physics. I improved my physics grade from a b+(91%) first semester to an A (95%). I'm just curious what can I expect my first year of college? How much different is first yr physics with calc from high school physics? Can a freshmen with only a little knowledge work on research? Any advice or words of wisdom is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you've had calculus based physics in high-school, it is much the same. However, expect to see more depth and rigor in your college courses. If the only physics you've had is algebra based, it'll be the same concepts and such, but you'll be using better, more streamlined and descriptive form of math (all my opinion of course, but I'd say few would disagree).

Freshman with little to no college physics are usually told to wait on research. Typically you would want to wait until you're beginning your advanced undergrad courses in your late sophomore or early junior year.

1. What topics will be covered in first year physics at Marquette?

The first year physics curriculum at Marquette covers the fundamentals of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. Students will also learn about topics such as kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, electric and magnetic fields, and heat and energy.

2. What are the expectations for lab work in first year physics at Marquette?

Labs are an essential part of the first year physics curriculum at Marquette. Students will be expected to attend and actively participate in lab sessions, where they will learn how to design experiments, collect and analyze data, and communicate their findings.

3. Is previous physics experience necessary for success in first year physics at Marquette?

No previous physics experience is required for success in first year physics at Marquette. The course is designed to introduce students to the fundamentals of physics, and many students have no prior experience with the subject.

4. How much time should I expect to spend on physics coursework outside of class?

The amount of time spent on physics coursework will vary for each student, but on average, students should expect to spend 2-3 hours studying outside of class for every hour spent in class. This may include reading, problem sets, and reviewing lecture notes.

5. What resources are available for students in first year physics at Marquette?

Marquette offers a variety of resources to support students in their first year physics coursework. These include office hours with professors and teaching assistants, peer tutoring services, and study groups. The university also has a well-equipped physics lab and library for students to utilize.