1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Majors for Students Working Full Time

1. Jan 26, 2014 #1
    Hi PF,

My questions involve:
    time constraints
    majors that work with those constraints
    jobs that go with my skill sets

Background Information:
    My son's mother recently moved and requested, through the Attorney General, I start paying child support. I'm a full time student at community college working on a chemistry associates degree (it satisfies prerequisites for a biomedical engineering degree). The more I think of the highly competitive nature of biomedical, the less it feels attainable while spending time with my son. I'm looking at transferring into a less competitive electrical engineering (EE) program instead.

The issue I'm running into is time constraints. Courts usually make child support calculations based on 40 hours per week @ minimum wage if the person doesn't make that much money, then there is daycare payments as well. This takes a significant amount of time out of my week that I would have spent studying or being with my son.

My work history involves being a medical laboratory technician for the Air Force, a hourly chemistry assistance for the community college I go to and a history/chemistry tutor. I enjoy playing with equipment (trouble shooting/maintaining) and working with people.

Question 1) Is it possible to complete an EE degree while working 40 hours a week? This is assuming that I can take classes around my work schedule.

Question 2) If it isn't possible, what kind of other degrees are out there that work with full time workers in a university setting?

Question 3) What kind of jobs are there out there that can utilize my prior work experiences and enjoyments?

I tried googling information and looking around on indeed but I don't really have the keywords to find what I'm looking for. I live in Austin, Tx. We have lots of tech jobs and biotech jobs.

Thanks for reading this and helping me think.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2014 #2

462chevelle

Gold Member

I'm in the same predicament less the child support deal (kid is at home). i work a full time job as a diesel mechanic.
    so far it isnt so bad. but i am still a freshman. only have 20 hours so far. i just have to cut back on my sleep to find time. i dont know how it will work with upper levels other than pure discipline. and i try to stay a class ahead with math. but i think it is totally doable. but i dont have the experience to back that up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook