Make a Monophase AC Motor Run: 3 Speeds Fan w/ Digital Logic

  • Thread starter Thread starter Phellippe Marques
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ac Ac motor Motor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Phellippe Marques
Messages
14
Reaction score
5
Hey, everyone,

I got this motor from my fan, I am trying to run it but there are a few more wires that I was expecting. Can someone please give me some light? What are all those wires and how to make ir run.

PS: 3 speeds fan w/ digital logic on the top (taken off)
IMG_9966.JPG
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Phellippe Marques said:
Hey, everyone,

I got this motor from my fan, I am trying to run it but there are a few more wires that I was expecting. Can someone please give me some light? What are all those wires and how to make ir run.

PS: 3 speeds fan w/ digital logic on the top (taken off)View attachment 196788
Hi Phellippe,

How much experience do you have working with AC Mains powered devices and motors? What are you hoping to do with this motor?
 
Hey, Thanks for your reply.
I don't have any experience with motors, I just have an idea about how it works, I've already done Electrical Machinery 1 and 2.
But I really don't know how to make it start from speed 0. I opened the stator and I guess its an monophase induction motor because the rotor looks like a squirrel cage rotor.
What I am planing to do? I am not sure yet, first i need to see it working to check how powerful it is
 
Hi Phellippe,

Is it possible to hook the motor back up to its original controller? Set it on high speed and it will develop all the torque it's capable of (not much). Then you can tell if it will have enough for whatever projects you have in mind. But if you can't hook it back up to the controller, post a reply and I'll try to figure something else out. Most of those motors like that are pretty similar and I'm familiar with them.
 
Phellippe Marques said:
Hey, Thanks for your reply.
I don't have any experience with motors, I just have an idea about how it works, I've already done Electrical Machinery 1 and 2.
But I really don't know how to make it start from speed 0. I opened the stator and I guess its an monophase induction motor because the rotor looks like a squirrel cage rotor.
What I am planing to do? I am not sure yet, first i need to see it working to check how powerful it is
In general, we don't like inexperienced folks working with AC Mains projects. I need to close this thread, sorry. Perhaps @Jack of some trades can help you via PMs.