Make Audio System for Go-Kart: 12V Battery, Tape Deck, Speakers

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses creating a working audio system for a go-kart using a motorcycle battery, wire, a tape deck, and car speakers. There is mention of a security feature on the tape deck, but it is ultimately resolved with a new tape deck and the system is now functioning properly.
Tom McCurdy
How exactly could you take a 12 volt motocycle battery, some wire, an old passat tape deck, a couple cheap car speakers (6.55 in) and make a working audio system for a go-kart? I already got the speakers installed in a box, but I am not sure at all for the connections from the tape deck. When I connect positive and negative leads a little light under a key on the front of the deck flashes making me wonder if its some sort of secuirity feature.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Well I won't know exactly since I don't know exactly what you are working with, but once the battery is charged and you hook up a tape deck (which I assume will be working at 9/12V) and you connect the speakers to the ports at the back of the deck, it should work assuming that the deck is functioning.

I figured it out, it was just a problem with the tape deck... a stupid security feature. I got a new tape deck and now its bumpin

I figured it out, it was just a problem with the tape deck... a stupid security feature. I got a new tape deck and now its bumpin

Neat. First time I've heard about security stuff in those old-school things. What was the security feature like?

Related to Make Audio System for Go-Kart: 12V Battery, Tape Deck, Speakers

1. How do I connect the 12V battery to the audio system?

The 12V battery can be connected to the audio system using a wire harness or by directly wiring the positive and negative terminals to the corresponding terminals on the audio system.

2. Can I use any type of tape deck for the audio system?

As long as the tape deck has a 12V power supply, it can be used for the audio system in the go-kart. It is important to check the specifications of the tape deck before purchasing to ensure compatibility.

3. How many speakers should I use for the audio system?

This depends on personal preference and the size of the go-kart. Generally, 2-4 speakers are recommended for optimal sound quality and coverage.

4. Can I use a different type of battery instead of a 12V battery?

The audio system is designed to be powered by a 12V battery, so using a different type of battery may not provide enough power or could potentially damage the system. It is best to use the recommended 12V battery.

5. How do I ensure the audio system is properly secured in the go-kart?

The audio system can be secured using mounting brackets or straps. It is important to make sure the system is securely fastened to prevent it from moving or falling while the go-kart is in motion.