Make grape plasma in magnetic feild?

In summary, there are videos on YouTube showing that grapes can turn into plasma when placed in a microwave. Some viewers have suggested that a magnetic field could also turn grapes into plasma. However, it is unlikely that a regular kitchen microwave has enough energy to create plasma. The video in question appears to be more of a fluorescent light bulb experiment rather than a plasma thruster.
ForumFire
There are many videos on youtube where people put grapes in the microwave and it turned the grapes into plasma. There are some other videos on youtube where someone made a plasma thruster(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_wwEKp6SGk"), and in the discription said that it needed a magnetic field for it to work. In some of the comments it said that if it where in microwaves it would work too. I was wondering if a grape would turn into plasma if it was in a magnetic field?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have an answer to your question but my intuition tells me that a normal kitchen microwave doesn't have the energy to turn a grape into plasma. I've tried some of these grape experiments with my 1200watt microwave and could never get them to work.

It is possible to create plasma from a gas using electromagnetic fields. That is the method they use for fusion in tokomaks but I doubt you could produce plasma in a microwave but I could be wrong. In the context that the video is referring to, you would actually be making any plasma from the magnetic field itself but just be able to control it. Plasma responds well to electromagnetic fields to due the atoms electrons being stripped.

EDIT: I just watched the video and it doesn't look like any plasma thruster I have ever seen. Looks more like a fluorescent light bulb experiment.

Thank you for bringing this interesting topic to my attention. The phenomenon of grapes turning into plasma in a microwave is known as "microwave-induced plasma," and it occurs due to the interaction of the microwaves with the ions and electrons in the grape's skin. This effect is not related to the presence of a magnetic field, but rather the specific frequency and intensity of the microwaves.

In the case of the plasma thruster, the magnetic field is used to control and direct the flow of ionized gas, not to induce the plasma itself. Therefore, it is unlikely that a grape would turn into plasma in a magnetic field alone. However, if the grape was exposed to both a magnetic field and microwaves, it is possible that the combined effects could lead to plasma formation.

It is important to note that creating plasma in a controlled and safe manner requires specialized equipment and knowledge. I would not recommend attempting to replicate these experiments without proper training and precautions. Additionally, it is always important to critically evaluate information found on the internet, as not all sources may be reliable or scientifically accurate.

In summary, while a grape may turn into plasma in a microwave, it is unlikely to do so in a magnetic field alone. Further research and experimentation would be needed to determine the effects of combining a magnetic field and microwaves on plasma formation in grapes.

1. How do you make grape plasma in a magnetic field?

Making grape plasma in a magnetic field involves taking a grape and cutting it in half, then placing it in a microwave for about 5-10 seconds. After removing it from the microwave, place the grape halves cut side down on a plate and carefully add a drop of water to the center of each grape half. Next, place the plate in the center of a strong neodymium magnet and observe the grape plasma forming between the two halves.

2. What is the science behind making grape plasma in a magnetic field?

When a grape is cut in half and exposed to microwave radiation, the water molecules inside the grape are excited and begin to vibrate. This creates an electric field that separates the positive and negative charges in the grape, creating a small amount of plasma. When the grape halves are placed on a plate and water is added, the plasma is able to bridge the gap between the two halves, forming a visible connection. The magnetic field from the neodymium magnet then interacts with the charged particles in the plasma, causing it to move and change shape.

3. What is the purpose of making grape plasma in a magnetic field?

The purpose of making grape plasma in a magnetic field is primarily for educational and entertainment purposes. It is a simple and fun way to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetic fields and plasma physics. It can also be used to spark interest in science and encourage further exploration and experimentation.

4. Can you make plasma with other fruits besides grapes?

Yes, it is possible to make plasma with other fruits besides grapes. Some other fruits that have a similar structure and water content, such as blueberries, tomatoes, and blackberries, have been successfully used to create plasma in a magnetic field. However, the size and shape of the fruit may affect the appearance and behavior of the plasma.

5. Is the plasma created from grapes in a magnetic field dangerous?

No, the plasma created from grapes in a magnetic field is not dangerous. It is a low-temperature plasma that is not hot enough to cause burns or damage. However, it is important to handle the grape halves and the neodymium magnet with caution to prevent any potential hazards, such as choking or pinching. It is also recommended to use a microwave-safe plate and avoid touching the plate while it is in the microwave.