Can I Use Copper Cable and a Ferrite Core to Create a Smaller TV Antenna?

• Thread starter LostConjugate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Antenna
In summary: According to this website for building an antenna the optimal length of the rods is 7 inches. Can I take 7 inches of copper cable and wrap it around a ferrite core to make a smaller version of the antenna that is just as effective?No. The length of the rods is taken in regards to the wavelength of the signal you wish to recieve. The physical size of the antenna is designed so that it will be resonant with the desired frequencies. Deviation from these dimensions will adversely affect the efficiency of your antenna. In addition, changing the physical shape of the antenna will also diminish its performance. For the most part, these "HDTV" antennas are nothing special and may even reduce your reception. The basic TV antenna
LostConjugate
According to this website for building an antenna the optimal length of the rods is 7 inches. Can I take 7 inches of copper cable and wrap it around a ferrite core to make a smaller version of the antenna that is just as effective?

http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/

Engineering news on Phys.org
No. The length of the rods is taken in regards to the wavelength of the signal you wish to recieve. The physical size of the antenna is designed so that it will be resonant with the desired frequencies. Deviation from these dimensions will adversely affect the efficiency of your antenna. In addition, changing the physical shape of the antenna will also diminish its performance. For the most part, these "HDTV" antennas are nothing special and may even reduce your reception. The basic TV antenna is already designed to be resonant with your TV signals. However, it is designed to accept signals from all direction. Most people live in places where most of the signals come from one direction (say the major metropolitan area) and thus you can improve your reception by getting an antenna that is highly directive that focuses its reception along a smaller sector of the sky. So by changing the shape of your antenna you would be impacting the ability for the antenna to be highly directive and thus removing any performance gains you might see.

Ok, I guess that's why manufactures have not done it :)

Side question..

Is there a minimum thickness required of the rods required, or is length the only thing that matters?

Well this isn't entirely true. If the antenna is a printed circuit on a high dielectric substrate such as alumina, the lengths of the elements (rods) can be reduced to approximately 1/3.

skeptic2 said:
Well this isn't entirely true. If the antenna is a printed circuit on a high dielectric substrate such as alumina, the lengths of the elements (rods) can be reduced to approximately 1/3.

That is not a whole lot. I was thinking on the order of a radio, which usually has a 2 mile antenna inside of it.

Now that I think about it every radio I have ever had has crappy audio quality though.

Tell us what size you would like to make the antenna and we'll tell you whether it's possible or not and if possible, what's the best way to go about it. Do you need to pick up signals in only one direction or from many directions? Is yours for HDTV too, or for some other use? What are you using now and why is it unsatisfactory?

In general the size of the antenna depends on the wavelength of the frequency you're trying to receive. The reason AM radio antennas have so much wire is that the wavelength of the signal is so long. The higher the frequency, the smaller the antenna. Also the more gain you want in the antenna the more elements you need and the bigger it will be.

The audio quality of a radio is more dependent on the speakers than on the antenna.

What about fractal antennas?
Don't they reduce the size by using "bent" elements that are close in overall length to the staight element?

skeptic2 said:
Tell us what size you would like to make the antenna and we'll tell you whether it's possible or not and if possible, what's the best way to go about it. Do you need to pick up signals in only one direction or from many directions?

And if you're going to use it for TV or AM or FM radio, how far are you from the stations, how strong are they, are there terrain factors like mountains involved?

If you're in the USA or maybe Canada, a useful site for getting information about TV signals at your location is TV Fool, and for FM radio, the similar FM Fool.

You can find a lot of information about TV antennas at

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/erecting_antenna.html

Note particularly the section Common TV antenna types.

1. How can I make my TV antenna smaller without losing signal quality?

One way to make your TV antenna smaller without losing signal quality is to use a higher frequency antenna. Higher frequency antennas have shorter wavelengths, which means they can be made smaller without affecting their ability to receive signals.

2. Can I modify my current TV antenna to make it smaller?

Yes, you can modify your current TV antenna to make it smaller. This can be done by removing unnecessary parts, such as reflectors and directors, and by shortening the elements of the antenna.

3. Will using a smaller TV antenna affect the number of channels I can receive?

Using a smaller TV antenna may affect the number of channels you can receive, depending on your location and the strength of the signals in your area. It is important to choose an antenna with the right specifications for your location to ensure optimal reception.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a smaller TV antenna?

One potential disadvantage of using a smaller TV antenna is that it may have a shorter range compared to larger antennas. This means you may not be able to receive signals from farther away channels. Additionally, smaller antennas may be more susceptible to interference from nearby objects, such as buildings or trees.

5. Is it possible to make a TV antenna too small?

Yes, it is possible to make a TV antenna too small. The size of the antenna is directly related to its ability to receive signals. If the antenna is too small, it may not be able to receive enough signal to provide a clear picture. It is important to carefully consider the size and specifications of an antenna before making it smaller.