Rearranging Equations: Making a Variable the Subject

• Thread starter questions_uk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary, when changing the subject of a formula, whether the subject is on the left or right side does not affect the correctness of the answer. Both ways are acceptable.
questions_uk
Hi. With the equation:

A = B x (C / D) x (E x F)

To make D the subject would it be:

(C / D) = B x (E x F) / A

D = (B x (E x F) / A) x C

?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you were to isolate C/D as you did in your first step, then A should have been the numerator of the right side. While isolating, technically you divide both sides by the same expression (in this case B x E x F to eliminate them from the side where C/D is).

A simpler method would be to apply the associative property of multiplication and just lump B, C, E, and F together so that you end up with (B x C x E x F)/D and isolate D from there.

So assuming the commutative properties: D = B x C x E x F / A?

questions_uk said:
Hi. With the equation:

A = B x (C / D) x (E x F)

To make D the subject would it be:

(C / D) = B x (E x F) / A
No. To isolate C/D, because in your equation it is multiplied by B and (E x F) you must divide both sides by B x (E x F): C/D= A/(B x (E x F)). Then, to get the D into the numerator, "invert" both sides: D/C= (B x E x F)/A.

[D = (B x (E x F) / A) x C

?

Thanks.

HallsofIvy said:
No. To isolate C/D, because in your equation it is multiplied by B and (E x F) you must divide both sides by B x (E x F): C/D= A/(B x (E x F)). Then, to get the D into the numerator, "invert" both sides: D/C= (B x E x F)/A.
So assuming D/C = (B x E x F) / A would it not be D = (B x E x F) / A x C ? Thanks.

No, you had it right in your previous post;

you multiply both sides by C in order to get rid of the C on the left hand side which makes the right hand side.

((B x E x F) / A ) x C which as you rightly said before is equal to

(B x E x F x C) / A

Thanks!

questions_uk said:
So assuming D/C = (B x E x F) / A would it not be D = (B x E x F) / A x C ?

Thanks.
No, it would not! In order to eliminate the C on the left side, you must multiply by C, not divide by it. The way you have written that, C is in the denominator. If you mean D= [(B x E x F)/A] x C write it as D= (B x E x F x C)/A.

I have a question on this one: would it be OK when you are changing the subject of a formula to have the subject on the right side of the formula?

Let's suppose you have the following formula:

A + D = 2*E + G

and I want G to be the subject of the formula. Is it OK if I write the answer like:

A + D - 2*E = G ?

Some mathematicians say it is OK to provide the answer in that fashion, but I was taught in high school you should always write the subject on the left side, like this:

G = A + D - 2*E

Am I wrong?

topito2 said:
I have a question on this one: would it be OK when you are changing the subject of a formula to have the subject on the right side of the formula?

It makes no difference.

topito2 said:
A + D - 2*E = G ?

Some mathematicians say it is OK to provide the answer in that fashion, but I was taught in high school you should always write the subject on the left side, like this:

G = A + D - 2*E

Am I wrong?

Its just the same way to express the same thing, neither is right nor wrong. You haven't violated any rules of math.

1. What does it mean to "make a variable the subject"?

Making a variable the subject refers to rearranging an equation or formula so that the desired variable is isolated on one side of the equal sign. This allows for easier manipulation and solving for that variable.

2. Why is it important to make a variable the subject?

Making a variable the subject is important because it allows for easier problem solving and finding the value of the desired variable. It also helps to understand the relationship between different variables in an equation or formula.

3. How do you make a variable the subject?

To make a variable the subject, start by identifying the desired variable that you want to isolate. Then, use algebraic manipulation to move all other variables and constants to the other side of the equation. Remember to use inverse operations, such as addition and subtraction, to cancel out any operations being performed on the desired variable.

4. Can you give an example of making a variable the subject?

Sure! Let's say we have the equation 3x + 5 = 20. To make x the subject, we would first subtract 5 from both sides to get 3x = 15. Then, we divide both sides by 3 to get x = 5. Now x is the subject and we have solved for its value.

5. Are there any limitations to making a variable the subject?

Yes, there can be limitations based on the complexity of the equation or formula. In some cases, it may not be possible to make a certain variable the subject, or it may require advanced techniques such as logarithms or trigonometric functions. Additionally, it is important to check for any restrictions or conditions on the variables in the original equation.