1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making a variable the subject

1. Apr 29, 2009 #1
    Hi. With the equation:

A = B x (C / D) x (E x F)

To make D the subject would it be:

(C / D) = B x (E x F) / A

D = (B x (E x F) / A) x C

?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2009 #2
    If you were to isolate C/D as you did in your first step, then A should have been the numerator of the right side. While isolating, technically you divide both sides by the same expression (in this case B x E x F to eliminate them from the side where C/D is).

A simpler method would be to apply the associative property of multiplication and just lump B, C, E, and F together so that you end up with (B x C x E x F)/D and isolate D from there.

4. Apr 29, 2009 #3
    So assuming the commutative properties: D = B x C x E x F / A?

5. Apr 29, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. To isolate C/D, because in your equation it is multiplied by B and (E x F) you must divide both sides by B x (E x F): C/D= A/(B x (E x F)). Then, to get the D into the numerator, "invert" both sides: D/C= (B x E x F)/A.

6. Apr 29, 2009 #5

So assuming D/C = (B x E x F) / A would it not be D = (B x E x F) / A x C ?

Thanks.

7. Apr 29, 2009 #6
    No, you had it right in your previous post;

you multiply both sides by C in order to get rid of the C on the left hand side which makes the right hand side.

((B x E x F) / A ) x C which as you rightly said before is equal to

(B x E x F x C) / A

8. Apr 29, 2009 #7
  9. Apr 29, 2009 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it would not! In order to eliminate the C on the left side, you must multiply by C, not divide by it. The way you have written that, C is in the denominator. If you mean D= [(B x E x F)/A] x C write it as D= (B x E x F x C)/A.

10. May 26, 2009 #9
    I have a question on this one: would it be OK when you are changing the subject of a formula to have the subject on the right side of the formula?

Let's suppose you have the following formula:

A + D = 2*E + G

and I want G to be the subject of the formula. Is it OK if I write the answer like:

A + D - 2*E = G ?

Some mathematicians say it is OK to provide the answer in that fashion, but I was taught in high school you should always write the subject on the left side, like this:

G = A + D - 2*E

Am I wrong?

11. May 26, 2009 #10

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It makes no difference.

12. May 26, 2009 #11

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Its just the same way to express the same thing, neither is right nor wrong. You haven't violated any rules of math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook