Making electricity by means of my old bike

In summary, if you want to build a bicycle-powered generator, you should shoot for around 200W of power from your pedaling for an hour.
Renewable_energyguy
TL;DR Summary
I am turning my old bike into an electrical generator using a dc permanent magnet motor which will be connected by a chain to the pedals, the motor will be directly wired to an inverter which will allow me to use the power I make.
going off the summary I want some feedback and any opinion that may improve this project, please and thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Are you aware that such devices have been sold so long that your grandfather probably had one when he was a kid?

If you mean something more, then tell us how much power you expect to make.
Or just give us your definition of success for your project.

Likes russ_watters
Well I have to build it but the motor I plan to use is
Screenshot_20190426-212549_eBay.jpg

Generator specs are too vague.
  • "Up to 350W".
  • "12V/24V" implies two windings which would be paralleled for 12V, and placed in series for 24V, but only two leads are brought out.
  • It could be 12V is generated at xxx RPM, and 24V when operated at twice that speed, but ...
  • no speed rating is on the label, nor in the eBay description.
  • Shaft diameter is 8mm, and it comes with an 11 tooth sprocket, but no mention of chain pitch. Will this sprocket work with your bike chain, or will it be necessary to replace it for one that does?
Continuing with @anorlunda and @256bits, "How much power do you expect to make?"
350W is far into the right hand of the FTP bell curve. FTP ("Functional Threshold Power") is average sustained power in one hour.

https://www.cyclinganalytics.com/blog/2018/06/how-does-your-cycling-power-output-compare

What will the power be used for? If it'll be for lighting it may make more sense to stay in DC and charge a battery to drive LED lamps rather than converting it to AC with an inverter, and incur the efficiency loss (10%? 15%?).

Likes russ_watters
Here's some more data on cycling power vs time for healthy and fit men:
P4260003.JPG

It's from Bicycling Science, Third Edition, by David Gordon Wilson. Actual electricity delivered from a generator will be less because of generator efficiency.

The above data is also from people pedaling at their best efficiency RPM. Careful selection of gear ratio is necessary when driving a generator because pedaling efficiency varies with RPM. This book is a good read for anybody interested in human power from pedaling.

• Informative
Likes sysprog, berkeman, Asymptotic and 4 others
Shades of Gilligan's Island ...

agqFU-1456338742-2059-list_items-telegraph.gif

Renewable_energyguy said:
Summary: I am turning my old bike into an electrical generator using a dc permanent magnet motor which will be connected by a chain to the pedals,
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you post a picture of your bike? (use the Upload button in the Edit window to upload a JPG or PDF file) Does it have toe clips or stirrups on the pedals? What is your cycling background? How many miles a week do you currently ride? Do you ride hills, or mostly flat routes?

What is your electronics background? There are some combinations of bike gearing and power conversion electronics that will help you get the most out of your setup. Are you planning on using some of the power in real time (like running your laptop and charging your cellphone) while storing the extra energy in a deep-discharge battery?

Per the very helpful curves posted by @jrmichler you should shoot for about 200W power from you pedaling for about an hour. That's assuming that you already ride a good amount of miles per week on the roads.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you post a picture of your bike? (use the Upload button in the Edit window to upload a JPG or PDF file) Does it have toe clips or stirrups on the pedals? What is your cycling background? How many miles a week do you currently ride? Do you ride hills, or mostly flat routes?

What is your electronics background? There are some combinations of bike gearing and power conversion electronics that will help you get the most out of your setup. Are you planning on using some of the power in real time (like running your laptop and charging your cellphone) while storing the extra energy in a deep-discharge battery?

Per the very helpful curves posted by @jrmichler you should shoot for about 200W power from you pedaling for about an hour. That's assuming that you already ride a good amount of miles per week on the roads.
Just to clarify a bit -- if @Renewable_energyguy generates 200w for an hour steadily, he gens 200wh during that hour; i.e. he gens 200wh/hr, so if he pedals continuously for multiple hours at that rate, and he wants to charge a 100ah 12v battery, he'll need 6 hours of pedaling to get it fully charged.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
I tried a search for "bicycle powered generator" on Youtube.com There are very many videos of successful projects that the OP can learn from. Among them is this video that discusses how much energy is realistic to make by pedaling.

Likes berkeman and russ_watters

1. How does making electricity by means of my old bike work?

Using a dynamo, the rotation of the bike's wheels is converted into electrical energy. The dynamo contains a magnet and a coil of wire, which creates a magnetic field when the bike is in motion. This movement of the magnetic field induces an electrical current in the wire, generating electricity.

2. Can I power my entire home with my old bike?

It is possible to generate a small amount of electricity with a bike, but it is not enough to power an entire home. The amount of electricity produced depends on the speed and duration of biking, as well as the efficiency of the dynamo. It is more practical to use the electricity for smaller devices or to supplement your home's energy usage.

3. How much electricity can I generate with my old bike?

The amount of electricity generated by a bike varies depending on factors such as speed, duration, and efficiency. On average, a person can generate between 50-150 watts of electricity per hour while biking. This is enough to power a few small devices or to charge a small battery.

4. Is making electricity by means of my old bike environmentally friendly?

Yes, using a bike to generate electricity is a sustainable and eco-friendly way to produce energy. It does not emit any pollutants or greenhouse gases, unlike traditional methods of electricity production. It also promotes physical activity and reduces reliance on fossil fuels.

5. Can I store the electricity generated by my old bike?

Yes, you can store the electricity generated by your bike in a battery or capacitor for later use. This can be useful for powering devices when you are not actively biking or for use during power outages. However, it is important to note that storing electricity in batteries can result in energy loss due to inefficiencies in the charging and discharging process.