1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making Paper Longer

1. Jan 6, 2016 #1
    Okay, so for my applied tech lab class we have to take a piece of paper and make it as long as possible with out breaking off the paper in any way. We aren't aloud to use tape and only one piece of paper. We get two practice sheets, in the class. Of course I a, aloud to do things outside of class but I'm not aloud to use it. The record is 115 feet and me and my partner ours to be at least 80 feet. I had the idea of cutting strips and folding it over but I don't know if there would be another way? Do any of you have any ideas?
    Thanks for your answers, they are much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi Sarai. :welcome:

Is it permissible to make use of a razor blade and ruler, to convert your page into a long thin sliver?

4. Jan 6, 2016 #3
    See, that's what I was thinking, but I can't bring things like that into school, as I'd get expelled because it'd be a weapon.

5. Jan 6, 2016 #4

NascentOxygen

Scissors, then.

While folding might be okay when the cuts are long, you'll be losing an increasing percentage of paper as the cuts get shorter towards the centre. A compromse might be to turn your cutting circular (i.e., spiral) towards the centre so there is no folding.

6. Jan 6, 2016 #5
    Okay, for a minute I was really lost on what you meant but I figured it out and I think that that is probably the best solution. Thank you so much.

7. Jan 6, 2016 #6

NascentOxygen

Carry out some practice exercises beforehand, to determine a technique which looks most promising. Also, allow for the possibility that they may surprise you by distributing paper of some unexpected shape, e.g., cloud-shaped, P-shaped, whatever.

8. Jan 7, 2016 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assume your paper is 11" x 8.5". If you make long cuts and unfold then each strip adds around 10-10.5" to the length. In that case to reach 80feet you need 80 * 12/10.5 = 91 strips. If the width of paper is 8.5" each trip can only be around 8.5/91 = 0.093" wide, less than 1/10th inch. Have a go but I think it will be hard to do with scissors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted