Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making the core for a three-segment air-coil

1. Sep 16, 2006 #1
    Hello All,

I am trying to come up with the simplest (but most effective way to make a core (cylinder that is 5"OD x 3"ID x 2" tall) and I want to make it so that is has two separators on it so I can wind three separate coils on the same core. In case that was extremely confusing, I made a diagram showing what I am going for. At the moment, my best idea is to use empty masking tape rolls for each section of the coil and glue it with cardboard spacers or something for the flanges. But I also plan on winding some wire toroidaly on it too and I'm not sure that cardboard would be stiff enough. What do you think?

- Jason O

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Are you talking about 3 coils stacked on top of each other with a 5" OD and 3" ID, or 3 concentric coils wherein the innermost has a 3" ID and the outermost has a 5" OD? :confused:

4. Sep 16, 2006 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Alright, you little bugger... you altered your initial post after my response. Just for that, I'm going to bed now. Hope you're happy. This means that the rest of the toroid staging system sketches won't be up until tomorrow. :tongue:

5. Sep 16, 2006 #4
    lol, sorry about that. I posted and then went to bed, later realizing I forgot to attach the picture :tongue:

6. Sep 16, 2006 #5

Danger

Gold Member

No worries, mate. :rofl:
    I'm quite confused now, though. Do you mean that you're going to do a toroidal wind around the whole unit after the initial wraps are in place? If so, why? :confused:

7. Sep 16, 2006 #6
    Yes, it is for some odd-ball experiments I'm doing

8. Sep 16, 2006 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Intriguing. Does your local fire department know about you? :uhh:

9. Sep 16, 2006 #8
    lol, hopefully I won't need them for anything

10. Sep 17, 2006 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Okay, then. I'd hate to be aiding and abetting a menace to society. :biggrin:
    I'm thinking that the construction would be simpler if you use one long tube rather than 3 short ones. I can think of a few different materials, such as the cardboard core that your local sign shop buys vinyl on. When I worked at one, we gave them away all the time. There are also all kinds of cylindrical plastic things available at hardware or variety stores, like candle holders, lamp shades, etc.. Hobby shops also carry a wide range of cardboard and plastic forms for moulding candles or latex or plaster casting. You can then just insert the form through your spacer rings and apply a touch of glue to keep everything in place. It would be a lot stronger than gluing the tubes together.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?