What is the role of Eve in a Man in the Middle attack?

In summary, Eve plays the role of a mediator in a Man in the Middle attack, intercepting and altering communication between two parties without their knowledge. She is able to intercept messages, forge them, and then send them on to the intended recipient, making it appear as if the messages are coming from the original sender. This allows her to eavesdrop, gather sensitive information, and even manipulate the communication for malicious purposes. Eve's presence and actions in a Man in the Middle attack compromise the security and confidentiality of the communication between the two parties.
Nur Ziadah
I have some curiosity about MIM attack in a paper that I have been found before. The diagram shows the MIM attack between Alice and Bob:
upload_2018-12-20_16-20-26.png

I found that the sentences state:

"We consider that the transmittance of the quantum channel is t. If Alice sends pulses with a mean photon number of N, Bob expects to receive pulses with mean photon number tN in the first stage and t3N in the third stage, and Alice expects to receive pulses with mean photon number t2N in the second stage. Therefore, for the MIM attack, Eve can extract a mean photon number of (1-t2)N to obtain the estimate
φ1 and a mean photon number of t(1-t2)N to obtain the estimate θB .
"

Question
How to derived (1-t2)N and t(1-t2)N?

Thank you.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-20_16-20-26.png
    upload_2018-12-20_16-20-26.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 783
  • upload_2018-12-20_16-22-56.png
    upload_2018-12-20_16-22-56.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 300
Physics news on Phys.org
Please give the reference where this is taken from.

Likes AndrewGRQTF, Nur Ziadah and DrClaude
I assume that they consider that Eve will receive the full signal from Alice, so a mean number of photons of N, and since she needs to send t2N to Alice so she doesn't suspect the MIM attack, Eve can use at most (1-t2)N of those photons for her spying purposes. Likewise with her spying of Bob.

DrClaude said:
I assume that they consider that Eve will receive the full signal from Alice, so a mean number of photons of N, and since she needs to send t2N to Alice so she doesn't suspect the MIM attack, Eve can use at most (1-t2)N of those photons for her spying purposes. Likewise with her spying of Bob.
DrClaude, it can be assumed that Eve is trying to intercept the communication at the first stage using (1-t2)N, isn't it?

Nur Ziadah said:
DrClaude, it can be assumed that Eve is trying to intercept the communication at the first stage using (1-t2)N, isn't it?
Disclaimer: I haven't read the article in detail. Eve is trying to intercept the communication by stopping all direct communication between Alice and Bob, replacing it by independent exchanges between Alice on one side and Bob on the other.

What is a Man in the Middle (MITM) attack?

A Man in the Middle (MITM) attack is a type of cyber attack where a malicious actor intercepts and alters communication between two parties who believe they are directly communicating with each other. The attacker can eavesdrop on the conversation, steal sensitive information, or even manipulate the communication to their advantage.

How does a Man in the Middle attack work?

In a Man in the Middle attack, the attacker positions themselves between the two parties involved in the communication, intercepting and relaying messages between them. This can be done through various techniques such as ARP spoofing, DNS spoofing, or session hijacking. The attacker can then manipulate the communication, stealing information or injecting their own malicious code.

What are the potential consequences of a Man in the Middle attack?

A Man in the Middle attack can have serious consequences for both individuals and organizations. It can result in the theft of sensitive information such as login credentials, financial data, or personal information. It can also lead to the compromise of systems, allowing the attacker to gain unauthorized access to networks or devices.

How can I protect myself from a Man in the Middle attack?

To protect yourself from a Man in the Middle attack, it is important to use secure and encrypted communication channels. This can include using HTTPS instead of HTTP, using secure messaging apps, and avoiding public or unsecured Wi-Fi networks. It is also important to regularly update software and devices to patch any security vulnerabilities.

What should I do if I suspect a Man in the Middle attack?

If you suspect that you are a victim of a Man in the Middle attack, it is important to immediately stop any communication and disconnect from the network. Change your login credentials and notify the appropriate authorities or IT department. It is also important to regularly monitor your accounts and devices for any suspicious activity.