Manage rectangular cloth for square table

In summary: Now I am able to see my attached file.Hope every one can see it and find how to use rectangular cloth.
dipinsingh
How will you get a table cloth of 12x12 units for a square table from a rectangular cloth of size 16x9 units in a single cut and placing two pieces together ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm...I can get an 8 X 18 with one cut, but not a 9 X 16.

I know how to do this with a page torn out of the Gutenburg Bible, but not with a tablecloth. Perhaps someone can fill in the details.
Start the cut at a point along one of the 16 unit sides, 4 units from the corner. Cut parallel to the 9 unit sides for a distance of 3 units. Then continue the cut parallel to the 16 unit sides for 4 units. Then continue the cut parallel to the 9 unit sides for 3 units, then parallel to the 16 unit sides for 4 units, finally parallel to the 9 unit sides for 3 units. The result is a cut that looks like a stairway. Move one of the pieces parallel to the 9 unit sides a distance of 3 units, and then parallel to the 16 unit sides a distance of 4 units. Sew.

jimmysnyder said:
I know how to do this with a page torn out of the Gutenburg Bible, but not with a tablecloth. Perhaps someone can fill in the details.
Start the cut at a point along one of the 16 unit sides, 4 units from the corner. Cut parallel to the 9 unit sides for a distance of 3 units. Then continue the cut parallel to the 16 unit sides for 4 units. Then continue the cut parallel to the 9 unit sides for 3 units, then parallel to the 16 unit sides for 4 units, finally parallel to the 9 unit sides for 3 units. The result is a cut that looks like a stairway. Move one of the pieces parallel to the 9 unit sides a distance of 3 units, and then parallel to the 16 unit sides a distance of 4 units. Sew.

U r Right.
For more such puzzles , visit and join
http://www.orkut.co.in/Community.aspx?cmm=50230760

Last edited by a moderator:
For exact details in picture, visit

http://www.orkut.co.in/Album.aspx?uid=9751600614461897900&aid=1220385687

dipinsingh said:
For exact details in picture, visit

http://www.orkut.co.in/Album.aspx?uid=9751600614461897900&aid=1220385687

The link doesn't work without signing in...please provide an open-access post.

lisab said:
The link doesn't work without signing in...please provide an open-access post.

Ok. I shall try to attach that file here.
U can create free account in orkut also to see that file posted at earlier link.

Attachments

• Solution for cloth cutting problem.JPG
    Solution for cloth cutting problem.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 643
dipinsingh said:
Ok. I shall try to attach that file here.
U can create free account in orkut also to see that file posted at earlier link.

I am not having privilege to open my attached files also on this forum. So I suggested that link which is free.

dipinsingh said:
I am not having privilege to open my attached files also on this forum. So I suggested that link which is free.

Technically, you can see the files on PF without even registering, unlike Orkut, where you need to register (although it's free). Everyone SHOULD be able to see the attachments made in posts here, but due to a bug with the Brain Teaser forum specifically, you can't see them unless you log out. This was brought to the administration's attention on at least one occasion, but no resolution was reached.

DaveE

davee123 said:
Technically, you can see the files on PF without even registering, unlike Orkut, where you need to register (although it's free). Everyone SHOULD be able to see the attachments made in posts here, but due to a bug with the Brain Teaser forum specifically, you can't see them unless you log out. This was brought to the administration's attention on at least one occasion, but no resolution was reached.

DaveE

Now I am able to see my attached file.
Hope every one can see it and find how to use rectangular cloth.
For such puzzles join my community at
http://www.orkut.co.in/Community.aspx?cmm=50230760

Related to Manage rectangular cloth for square table

1. How do you properly measure a rectangular cloth for a square table?

To measure a rectangular cloth for a square table, start by measuring the length and width of the table. Then, add the length and width together and multiply the sum by 2. This will give you the total length of cloth needed to cover all four sides of the table.

2. What is the best material for a rectangular cloth to use on a square table?

The best material for a rectangular cloth on a square table would be a durable and easy-to-clean fabric such as cotton or polyester. These fabrics are also available in a variety of colors and patterns, making them a versatile option for any table setting.

3. How do you prevent a rectangular cloth from slipping off a square table?

To prevent a rectangular cloth from slipping off a square table, you can use tablecloth clips or weights to secure the cloth in place. Another option is to choose a heavier fabric or add a non-slip liner underneath the cloth to keep it in place.

4. Can a rectangular cloth be used on a round or oval table?

A rectangular cloth can be used on a round or oval table, but it may not fit perfectly. In this case, you can fold the excess fabric underneath the table or choose a larger cloth to drape over the edges of the table for a more elegant look.

5. How do you clean and maintain a rectangular cloth for a square table?

To clean and maintain a rectangular cloth for a square table, follow the care instructions provided by the manufacturer. Generally, you can machine wash and dry the cloth, but be sure to check for any special instructions. To prevent wrinkles, remove the cloth from the dryer while it is still slightly damp and iron as needed.