Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Manage rectangular cloth for square table

1. Aug 27, 2008 #1
    How will you get a table cloth of 12x12 units for a square table from a rectangular cloth of size 16x9 units in a single cut and placing two pieces together ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmm...I can get an 8 X 18 with one cut, but not a 9 X 16.

4. Sep 2, 2008 #3
    I know how to do this with a page torn out of the Gutenburg Bible, but not with a tablecloth. Perhaps someone can fill in the details.
    Start the cut at a point along one of the 16 unit sides, 4 units from the corner. Cut parallel to the 9 unit sides for a distance of 3 units. Then continue the cut parallel to the 16 unit sides for 4 units. Then continue the cut parallel to the 9 unit sides for 3 units, then parallel to the 16 unit sides for 4 units, finally parallel to the 9 unit sides for 3 units. The result is a cut that looks like a stairway. Move one of the pieces parallel to the 9 unit sides a distance of 3 units, and then parallel to the 16 unit sides a distance of 4 units. Sew.

5. Sep 2, 2008 #4
    U r Right.
    For more such puzzles , visit and join
    http://www.orkut.co.in/Community.aspx?cmm=50230760

6. Sep 2, 2008 #5
  7. Sep 2, 2008 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Sep 3, 2008 #7
    Ok. I shall try to attach that file here.
    U can create free account in orkut also to see that file posted at earlier link.

Attached Files:

9. Sep 3, 2008 #8
    I am not having privilege to open my attached files also on this forum. So I suggested that link which is free.

10. Sep 3, 2008 #9
    Technically, you can see the files on PF without even registering, unlike Orkut, where you need to register (although it's free). Everyone SHOULD be able to see the attachments made in posts here, but due to a bug with the Brain Teaser forum specifically, you can't see them unless you log out. This was brought to the administration's attention on at least one occasion, but no resolution was reached.

DaveE

11. Sep 6, 2008 #10
    Now I am able to see my attached file.
    Hope every one can see it and find how to use rectangular cloth.
    For such puzzles join my community at
    http://www.orkut.co.in/Community.aspx?cmm=50230760

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?