Where Can I Find Reliable Information on the Manufacture of Biofuels?

• Thread starter EIRE2003
  • Start date
In summary, biofuels are fuels made from renewable biological resources and can be used as an alternative to traditional fossil fuels. They can be manufactured through various processes, such as fermentation and transesterification, and have environmental benefits such as reducing greenhouse gas emissions and decreasing dependence on foreign oil. However, there are concerns about the impact on food prices and the environment, and it's important to carefully manage biofuel production for long-term sustainability. Research and development are ongoing to improve efficiency and explore new types of biofuels.
EIRE2003
I got to do a project on this for college by next wed, I searched google looking up biofuels, but I only came across 1 decent site the rest, - Crap!
Could anybody help me look for some stuff on biofuels, the chemistry of, process & manufacture of them, etc

Thanks a million

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Try scholar.google.com along with more keywords to see less-commercial, more-academic solutions. I am almost sure satisfactory results are waiting for you :wink:

SweEt! I never knew that was such thing as an education search engine. HelL ThAnkS

1. What are biofuels?

Biofuels are fuels made from renewable biological resources, such as plants or animal waste. They can be used as an alternative to traditional fossil fuels like gasoline and diesel.

2. How are biofuels manufactured?

Biofuels can be manufactured through various processes, but the most common method is through fermentation of sugars found in crops like corn or sugarcane. The sugars are converted into ethanol, which can be used as a fuel. Other methods include transesterification, which produces biodiesel from vegetable oils, and gasification, which converts biomass into a gas that can be used as a fuel.

3. What are the benefits of using biofuels?

Biofuels have several environmental benefits, including reducing greenhouse gas emissions and decreasing dependence on fossil fuels. They are also renewable and can be produced domestically, reducing reliance on foreign oil. Additionally, biofuels can help support rural economies by creating jobs in the agriculture and biofuel industries.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using biofuels?

There are some concerns about the impact of biofuel production on food prices and food security. Additionally, some biofuel crops may require large amounts of water and fertilizers, which can have negative environmental effects. It's important to carefully consider the sustainability and potential trade-offs of biofuel production.

5. What is the future of biofuels?

The use of biofuels is expected to continue to grow as renewable energy sources become increasingly important in the fight against climate change. There is ongoing research and development to improve the efficiency and sustainability of biofuel production, as well as to explore new types of biofuels, such as algae-based fuels. However, it's important to carefully manage the production and use of biofuels to ensure their long-term sustainability and minimize any potential negative impacts.