Many students pursue Mechanical and Electrical Engineering rather than

In summary: Personally I think AE degrees are great because they give you the foundation of engineering and you can branch out and do whatever you want with it. It's a great way to get started in engineering and it prepares you well for the professional world. In summary, many students pursue Mechanical and Electrical Engineering rather than Aerospace Engineering. However, Aerospace Engineering offers more specific coursework in fields such as Aerodynamics and Aircraft Structures.
redgoat
Many students pursue Mechanical and Electrical Engineering rather than Aerospace Engineering. Only a few student takes Aerospace Enginerring. Do you know why?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mechanical and electrical engineering have much wider domains of applicability in industry.

- Warren

I would actually like to know whether or not that is the real reason. What are the upper level course's Mechs take? I've heard thousands of times that ME and EE have wider applicability but I don't know wheter or not that's true. For comparison, here are the courses I take as AE starting with year 2 because that's when we start taking engineering classes.
Engineering Sciences: Statics,Solid Mechanics,Dynamics,Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Electrical Engineering I and II. Those are the general engineering classes that everyone has to take and understand.
Now specifically AE classes are Aerodynamics I and II, Aircraft Structures I and II and then depending on the area of focus you have the choices of classes like Stability and Control, Control Systems Analysis, Space Mechanics, Turbine and Rocket Engine Structures and Instrumentation, and of course design classes.

Now those classes sound pretty specific but you can take many of the concepts in them and apply them to other fields. I would personally like to know what the detailed type classes ME and EE take to see if they are really more versatile like everyone says. If you look at most of the upper level classes they contain more complex aspects of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics and dynamics, solid mechanics, and general dynamics, and even electrical systems. I would assume that ME would take classes that are similar in nature. Plus EE would be focused more on electrical systems and not focus and the other aspects I mentioned above.

supersix2 said:
Now those classes sound pretty specific but you can take many of the concepts in them and apply them to other fields. I would personally like to know what the detailed type classes ME and EE take to see if they are really more versatile like everyone says. If you look at most of the upper level classes they contain more complex aspects of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics and dynamics, solid mechanics, and general dynamics, and even electrical systems. I would assume that ME would take classes that are similar in nature. Plus EE would be focused more on electrical systems and not focus and the other aspects I mentioned above.

What you said is true mostly. My 3rd and 4th years were more general design related. Half were more advanced versions of classes already taken. I think that (around me anyways) if you had an AE degree, you wouldn't be hurting yourself. However you would have to work a bit harder to prove that you had the versatility of an ME. I think the most important part is to have the mindset and practical skills of engineering, not so much your course background. You'll have so much learning to do in your profession that the college courses you took will take a back seat to how you actually conduct yourself on the job.

The hardest part for an AE would be getting by the resume scanners that do the quick, 2 second scan to get the major points. If they're looking for an ME and they see AE, you may need a little something-something to get you by that first hump.

1. Why do many students choose to pursue Mechanical and Electrical Engineering?

Many students are drawn to the field of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering because it offers a wide range of career opportunities. These fields are constantly evolving and advancing, providing students with the chance to work on cutting-edge technology and make a significant impact on society.

2. How do Mechanical and Electrical Engineering differ from each other?

Mechanical Engineering focuses on the design, development, and manufacturing of mechanical systems, such as engines, machines, and tools. Electrical Engineering, on the other hand, deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.

3. Is it more beneficial to pursue a double major in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering?

It depends on the individual's career goals and interests. A double major can provide a broader skill set and make a person more marketable to employers, but it also requires a significant amount of time and effort to complete both majors.

4. What type of skills are important for success in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering?

Some essential skills for success in these fields include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, and strong mathematical and analytical abilities. Effective communication and teamwork skills are also vital, as these fields often involve working on projects with a team.

5. Are there any challenges that students may face while pursuing Mechanical and Electrical Engineering?

Like any field of study, there can be challenges in pursuing Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. The coursework can be demanding and require a lot of dedication and hard work. Also, the constantly evolving nature of these fields means that students must stay updated with new technologies and advancements to remain competitive in the job market.